Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Unable to change NumberOfLogFiles option using vxlogcfg

Greetings! 

I want to set maximum count of unified log files for nbsl process. I used following command:

vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o 132 -s NumberOfLogFiles=15

At that time count of these was 8. But now it's greater than 15.  In nblog.conf i have right value of NumberOfLogFiles.

How i can resolve this problem?

Amol_Nair
    7 years ago

KirillKrotov

Just verified it. Setting up vx logs does not require any restart of NBU services. But unfortunately we changed other parameters as well i.e. LogRecycle=true. Changing this parameter would take into effect only after a restart of NetBackup services not prior to that

10 Replies

• Try this and see if it helps you out

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid 132 -s
    RolloverMode=FileSize MaxLogFileSizeKB=512000
    NumberOfLogFiles=15 LogRecycle=TRUE
      Marianne
      Level 6

Amol_Nair

Do you know if cleanup of Unified logs are also linked to the 12-hourly cleanup cycle on the master? 

Amol_Nair
        Level 6

Marianne

The cleanup of logs does not really follow the 12 hour interval as for the normal image cleanup sessions running in the background.

It works more on a day to day basis. Every day at midnight or a few minutes over midnight, bprd makes a call to attempt to cleanup logs. If its just client then you would see something like - "bpclntcmd -clean_old_logs" running on the client machine. One of the hidden switches in bpclntcmd cli to cleanup logs 
        The parent bprd process forks a child which in turn loops through the server list (and the media_server list). It then makes a call to - " recycle debug logs on server <remote_server>"

The bpcd logs should show messages similar to below
        bprd -dontfork -keeplogs <kp_value> -recycle_server <master_server>

The <kp_value> is from the global configuration on the master.

LogRecycle for unified logs is added to enable/disable log recycling for given originator. If enabled, log recycling will occur at the time of rollover.
        If number of log files reach NumberOfLogfiles+1, oldest log file will be removed and new log file will be created.

If rollover policy is set to FileSize, logs should never use disk space more than (NumberOfLogFiles+1)*MaxLogFileSizeKB.

At the backend unified logs would be cleared off via the vxlogmgr command.

One of the old technotes in regards to these parameters for reference
        https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100017250

Just noticed that in my previous post while adding it using my phone I did miss out of a couple of -s entries per option.

KirillKrotov The exact command above would be as below

vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 --orgid 132 -s RolloverMode=FileSize -s MaxLogFileSizeKB=512000 -s NumberOfLogFiles=15 -s LogRecycle=True