Forum Discussion

elahe89
Level 3
4 years ago

Use RMAN to backup number of copies of archive log

Hi ,

I hope you're doing well, I have a problem here, I want to have multiple backups for my oracle's Archive log area in two different media servers and I need them to be executed using RMAN.

I've to say that we have a STU type of BasicDisk and I don't want to use SLP approach.

Is there any suggestions you can make?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies

• Backup the archives files into two different storage units.

When performing arch01 - select STU1

When performing arch02 (second copy delete) - select STU2.

You may want to look into Netbackup OIP for automating backup of Oracle. It's easy to use.

elahe89
      Level 3

can you please elaborate more on this solution? 

I made a staging disk and as below and named stage1. final destination storage unit named stg1.

 then I have an Oracle typed policy that has a Full Backup schedule type. then I added another schedule to save a copy of my backups to the stg1. 

the schedule that I added has the following setting:I checked the override policy storage selection and I chose stg1.

I want this schedule to be done right after the main backup generates, but when I manually run it , it just writes the data to the storage unit which it was configured for the policy and not the override storage unit.

what should I do now?

Nicolai

hi elahe89 

You need a policy with type = Oracle to do Oracle backup. The screendumps below looks like they are from a file system policy. File system policy does work with Oracle backup as the database is not in a consistent state, thus backup will be worthless.

In the oracle policy you create two different schedules. schedule 1 follow the storage unit defined in the policy. The seconds schedules you use the "override policy storage unit" and point storage unit 2.

From RMAN script to select either schedule 1 or schedule two depending on requirements.

If you are a new user of Oracle - Netbackup OIP is your friend.

Please see : https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/16226115-130539065-0/v78647103-130539065