Forum Discussion

perez_cmz
Level 6
11 years ago

Using bpduplicate to duplicate image from tape to tape

I ran the following command ...

bpduplicate -backupid ABC.company.com_1389481262 -dstunit US_LT05 -rl 12 -dp US_DUP -cn 4 -dcn 3

and received the following in return ...

Duplicate started Tue 14 Jan 2014 09:57:44 PM CET
Activity monitor job id = 239340297
INF - Skipping copy 1 of backup id ABC.company.com_1389481262, is not required copy 4.

INF - Skipping copy 2 of backup id ABC.company.com_1389481262, is not required copy 4.

INF - Skipping backup id ABC.company.com_1389481262, it is a lifecycle image that cannot be manually duplicated

INF - found no images or media matching the selection criteria

What am I doing wrong ? All help is greatly appreciated.

• Until SLP has completed making all the copies, you cannot duplicate manually.

The basic command to check is :

nbstlutil stlilist

Status of 1 / 2 means  not started / in process

Status of 3 means complete

So, anything 'not equal' to 3 cannot be duplicated.

You can cancel an image (nbstlutil cancel -backupid <backupid> )

Issues with this:

1.  If the 'backup' copy has past it's try-to-keep time it will expire instantly.  It is difficult to stop this (and it cannot be stopped other than possibly with SQL commands).  The reason I say 'possibly' is that I've never done it with the later versions of NBU, only once at 6.5.x

2.  Once canceled, SLP will never pickup that image again

Martin

8 Replies

• "-cn 4" is telling the command to use copy number 4 as the source, but your don't have a copy number 4 of this image.  You have a copy 1 and a copy 2, as indicated by the first two INF messages.

The third INF message means that the image, ABC.company.com_1389481262, is still in process for its Storage Lifecycle Policy.  You cannot duplicate an image that is still in process.

Since you also specified the "-dcn 3", it looks to me like you are trying to manually create your 3rd copy, likely because it has not finished and you still want it to run.  The problem is most likely an issue in a previous version of the SLP in which the storage unit is no longer available due to someone making changes in the SLP before it completed this final copy. 

You will need to use the "nbstl" command to list the versions of the SLP and identify which one was changed, then update that specific version of the SLP to a valid one.  If that is not possible, you may need to cancel the SLP using "nbstlutil", but be aware that if copy 1 and copy 2 have already reached their expiration, they will be deleted immediately and you will not be able to create your 3rd copy.

• "-cn 4" is telling the command to use copy number 4 as the source, but your don't have a copy number 4 of this image.  You have a copy 1 and a copy 2, as indicated by the first two INF messages.

When I search for ABC.company.com_1389481262 in the Catalog, it tells me I have copy 4.

The third INF message means that the image, ABC.company.com_1389481262, is still in process for its Storage Lifecycle Policy.  You cannot duplicate an image that is still in process.

Are you saying copy 3 is still in the process of being written ?

Since you also specified the "-dcn 3", it looks to me like you are trying to manually create your 3rd copy, likely because it has not finished and you still want it to run.  The problem is most likely an issue in a previous version of the SLP in which the storage unit is no longer available due to someone making changes in the SLP before it completed this final copy. 

That is correct, I am trying to manually create copy 3. I didn't see any active duplication jobs for this image.

You will need to use the "nbstl" command to list the versions of the SLP and identify which one was changed, then update that specific version of the SLP to a valid one.  If that is not possible, you may need to cancel the SLP using "nbstlutil", but be aware that if copy 1 and copy 2 have already reached their expiration, they will be deleted immediately and you will not be able to create your 3rd copy.

What is the command to list the versions of the SLP ? Copies 1 and 2 do not expire for another 4 weeks.

• Until SLP has completed making all the copies, you cannot duplicate manually.

The basic command to check is :

nbstlutil stlilist

Status of 1 / 2 means  not started / in process

Status of 3 means complete

So, anything 'not equal' to 3 cannot be duplicated.

You can cancel an image (nbstlutil cancel -backupid <backupid> )

Issues with this:

1.  If the 'backup' copy has past it's try-to-keep time it will expire instantly.  It is difficult to stop this (and it cannot be stopped other than possibly with SQL commands).  The reason I say 'possibly' is that I've never done it with the later versions of NBU, only once at 6.5.x

2.  Once canceled, SLP will never pickup that image again

Martin

• So I ran the nbstlutil stlilist command. Could you help me interpret what I got back ?

nbstlutil stlilist -backupid ABC.company.com_1389481262
    V7.5.0 I ABC.company.com_1389481262 US_DADO1_to_US_DADO2_DEV_EOM 2
    V7.5.0 C US_LT03 2 1

• So, this is your problem:

Skipping backup id ABC.company.com_1389481262, it is a lifecycle image that cannot be manually duplicated

You can add -U to nbstlutil command to make it humanly readable.

SLP Cheat Sheet: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH170086

• Provided you are SURE the image hasn't reached its expiration, just cancel the processing for the SLP, it's that fastest and easiest way:

nbstlutil cancel -backupid ABC.company.com_1389481262

Then you should be able to duplicate the image the same way you tried before.

The alternative is to use nbstlutil and nbstl to find the version of the SLP and modify it.  I tried to explain how to do that here, but I gave up typing it all out because the process doesn't translate well in this forum.  Cancelling the SLP processing for that image is the easiest.