Forum Discussion

vinay1
Level 3
10 years ago

VM backup failed - snapshot error encountered(156)

Hi Guys,

I have a netbackup 7.5 and one of the VM got failed. below is the logs details of job failure.

3/1/2015 6:59:31 PM - snapshot backup of client ServerName.domain.com using method VMware_v2
3/1/2015 7:03:32 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=14708) from client ServerName.domain.com : FTL - VMware snapshot failed: SYM_VMC_TASK_REACHED_ERROR_STATE   
3/1/2015 7:03:32 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=14708) from client ServerName.domain.com : FTL - VMware error received: An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine.
3/1/2015 7:03:32 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=14708) from client ServerName.domain.com: FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 156  
3/1/2015 7:03:32 PM - Warning bpbrm(pid=14708) from client ServerName.domain.com: WRN - ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is not frozen   
3/1/2015 7:03:32 PM - end writing
Status 156

checked at the vCenter server the snapshot is getting failed at 95%. Please assist.

regards

VK

• TECH145960 talks about 156. The error "Failed to quiesce the virtual machine" is caused when The I/O in the virtual machine is very high and the quiesce operation is unable to flush all the data to disk as more and more I/O is being created. 

Solution

This can be:
    1) An issue with VSS in the guest VM:
    Check for VSS errors in the event logs on the problem VM
    If errors then apply the VSS rollup package from MS

2) An issue with vmware tools:
    a) check that the latest version of vmware tools is installed
    If not then install from ESX console (selecting interactive install will allow you to select the FULL / COMPLETE  installation NOT the TYPICAL)

b) restart the vmware tools service in the guest

c) uninstall and re-install vmware tools on the client
    select FULL / COMPLETE  installation - not the TYPICAL installation

3) A high I/O guest
    adjust the snapshottimeout registry setting on the VM Backup Host under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE> VERITAS > NETBACKUP> CURRENTVERSION > CONFIG>BACKUP

4) If all above actions checked then refer to VMware to verify additional issues

2 Replies

• TECH145960 talks about 156. The error "Failed to quiesce the virtual machine" is caused when The I/O in the virtual machine is very high and the quiesce operation is unable to flush all the data to disk as more and more I/O is being created. 

Solution

This can be:
    1) An issue with VSS in the guest VM:
    Check for VSS errors in the event logs on the problem VM
    If errors then apply the VSS rollup package from MS

2) An issue with vmware tools:
    a) check that the latest version of vmware tools is installed
    If not then install from ESX console (selecting interactive install will allow you to select the FULL / COMPLETE  installation NOT the TYPICAL)

b) restart the vmware tools service in the guest

c) uninstall and re-install vmware tools on the client
    select FULL / COMPLETE  installation - not the TYPICAL installation

3) A high I/O guest
    adjust the snapshottimeout registry setting on the VM Backup Host under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE> VERITAS > NETBACKUP> CURRENTVERSION > CONFIG>BACKUP

4) If all above actions checked then refer to VMware to verify additional issues