Forum Discussion

Soumyaa
Level 4
13 years ago

what is 'Maximum concurrent write drives' and 'Maximum streams per drive' in STUs

Hi,

what is 'Maximum concurrent write drives' and 'Maximum streams per drive' in STUs. We had Policy with no check mark in 'Limit jobs per policy' meaning maximum jobs from a policy is allowed and its assigned to an STU where in I found, 'Maximum concurrent write drives' = 6 and 'Maximum streams per drive' = 20. I see active jobs from other policies for this STU in more than 20 number (nearly 50). And for the policy which I am worried initiated 30 backup jobs wherein I see only 5 active and writing and remaining 25 in que state. This STU is VTL. Can someone please explain me the scenario here.

Thanks.

•  

Maximum concurrent write drives

The Maximum concurrent write drives setting specifies the number of tape drives that NetBackup can use at one time for jobs to this storage unit. The number of tape drives available is limited to the maximum number of tape drives in the storage device. If a job contains multiple copies, each copy applies toward the Maximum concurrent write drives count.

You may want to limit a storage unit that has 5 drives to only use 4 for backups, so you have 1 available for restores (for example)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33367

Maximum streams per drive storage unit setting

The Maximum streams per drive storage unit setting determines the maximum number of concurrent, multiple client backups that NetBackup can multiplex onto a single drive. The range is from 2 to 32.

1 Reply

•  

Maximum concurrent write drives

The Maximum concurrent write drives setting specifies the number of tape drives that NetBackup can use at one time for jobs to this storage unit. The number of tape drives available is limited to the maximum number of tape drives in the storage device. If a job contains multiple copies, each copy applies toward the Maximum concurrent write drives count.

You may want to limit a storage unit that has 5 drives to only use 4 for backups, so you have 1 available for restores (for example)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO33367

Maximum streams per drive storage unit setting

The Maximum streams per drive storage unit setting determines the maximum number of concurrent, multiple client backups that NetBackup can multiplex onto a single drive. The range is from 2 to 32.