Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Wildcards for exclusions but not backup selection?

PLEASE READ BEFORE RESPONDING

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly from my reading.

On a windows client, wildcards can only be used for files and NOT subdirectories when chosing locations for backup selection. However, I have set up wildcards for subdirectories in the exclude list under host properties and it does infact exclude those directories.

Why do i get error 71 for wildcarding directories in back up selection but not for exclusions?

example:

Netbackup doesn't like this:

C:\Users\*\Documents\filename.txt

But it will accept this:

C:\Users\username\Documents\*.txt

Does this rule not apply for the exclusion list?

Also, is there another option i can use for wildcarding directories on window based clients?

I'm only asking because we have a policy which has 8 or 9 different clients backing up all the same directories, and the only difference in the backup selection file paths are the usernames on each client. I know i can list each path seperately and netbackup will skip over the file paths it cannot find but I'm looking for simplicity.

BTW This is Netbackup 7.0 soon to be upgraded to 7.1

• I have had an idea about this one but have not had chance to test it (something to do with Christmas and the New Year!) so you may want to give it a go.

As it sounds like exclusions of this format work but policy selection lists do not they you could try the following:

Policy selection list : C:\Users\*

Exclusion List: C:\Users\*

Exceptions to Exclusion List: C:\Users\*\Documents\ and C:\Users\*\Favorites

Let me know if this works

20 Replies

• Please request product enhancement in Ideas section of this Community.

All of us will vote...

• I have had an idea about this one but have not had chance to test it (something to do with Christmas and the New Year!) so you may want to give it a go.

As it sounds like exclusions of this format work but policy selection lists do not they you could try the following:

Policy selection list : C:\Users\*

Exclusion List: C:\Users\*

Exceptions to Exclusion List: C:\Users\*\Documents\ and C:\Users\*\Favorites

Let me know if this works

• Is there a way to add this to ALL clients, rather than add this exclusion to every client in this list? If not it defeats the purpose of using the wildcard all together.

• i gave brief description which includes all the info required. read my blog link again...

• The solution works provided all of the users are on the same client. Which mine are not. To add exclusions for every client would defeat the purpose of me trying to use wildcards, I might as well write out the full path name for each client in backup selection.

• If you go to the admin console you can select all the clients you want to and hit the Enter key to load them all in one go and then apply the exclusions to all of them.

As the information is also stored in the registry you could also push a registry edit out using AD, just be careful as the list can have exclude lists specific to a single policy or schedule:

HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\

Edit the "exclude" key

Glad to have helped so far