Forum Discussion

Intore
Level 4
6 years ago

wrong media server used to perform the duplication

Hi all,

I need your help because after creating a Storage Unit Group for the backup and a Storage Unit Group for the duplication, sometimes the duplication jobs use a media server that is not configured in the related Storage Server.

I'm talking about the server that performs the duplication to the the storage unit:

server that perform the duplication --> server configured with the storage unit

Let me know if I'm not clear.

Thank you

Intore

• Hi all,

the support explained me the behavior of the duplication job with the STUG:

As you are using storage unit groups for the target of the duplication, this will mean (as per the NetBackup OST Disk Admin Guide), that Optimized duplication is not supported and therefore the duplication will go via the network.  In this scenario both the media server which is performing the read operation and the media server performing the write operation will need to communicate on port 1556.

I hope this could help someone.

Thank you

Intore

5 Replies

• Please post the full config. What is the source, what is target (tape, disk, etc)

It is common in OST configuration for media servers that shouldn't perform duplications picking up the jobs because they have permissions for the storage server, but they didn't do the backup. 

Intore
      Level 4

Hi Riaan,

the duplication is performed between two storage units in two differents DataDomain.

I just opened a case in Veritas.

Marianne
        Level 6

Intore 

If you look to the right under 'Related discussions ' you will see that this is a 'known issue'.
        Veritas do not see this as a problem - rather that is working by design due to a built-in 'load balancing logic'. 

There used to be a TN where this behaviour is explained and how to fix it with  USE_BACKUP_MEDIA_SERVER_FOR_RESTORE touch file. 
        No idea why Symantec/Veritas removed the TN.

RamNagalla posted the contents of that TN over here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/How-to-use-Media-Host-Override/m-p/599562#M150195

The touch-file on the master should fix your issue.