Forum Discussion

grigori
Level 5
9 years ago

adding new volumes to a DG that has a RVG under VCS cluster

hi, i am having a VCS cluster with GCO and VVR. on each node of the cluster i have a DG with an associated RVG, this RVG contains 11 data volume for Oracle database, these volumes are getting f...
    9 years ago

Guarav's post is not quite correct so you must not do the steps in the order above - it is VERY important you do them in the order below:

1. Add disks to diskgroup (vxdisksetup -i and vxdg adddisk)
    2. Create Volume on both Primary and secondary VVR nodes (vxassist make)
    3. Add to RDS (vradmin addvol)
    4. Create fileysystem (mkfs)
    5. Create mount points on all nodes in both clusters
    6. Add resource to VCS (hares -add/modify) on both clusters
    7. I would recommend making resource non-critical and not linked to other resources yet and then online resource - in case there are any typos in resource name or mountpoints you have created
    8. Once resource is online, then link resource (hares -link) and make critical (hares -modify)

Of course you can use VCS Java GUI or VOM to do VCS steps if you prefer.

When you do step 3, it does not copy any data between sites, but it then replicates from that point onwards, so when you then do step 4 and create filesystem, the creation of the filesystem is replicated, so if you had created filesystem first, it would not have been replicated and so the volume would be unusable on the secondary.

Note the primary and secondary VVR volumes will not be the same, but the filesystem metadata and the blocks of files created will be the same and so it will only be unused space in the filesystem that is not the same.  If you want the volumes to be block for block the same, then create volumes on primary and secondary using "init=zero" with the vxassist command which willl create volume and write zero to all blocks (you must still create filesystem AFTER adding to RDS)

Mike