Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Clustering with one physical and one virtual node with GCO

Dear Experts,

Need some expert opinion on design recommendations. 

Planning to have Enterprise Vault  in clustering configuration with VCS locally with two nodes, one physical node and one virtual node on a Hyper-v guest AND global failover with GCO to a physical server without local failover at remote site.

The OS is Windows 2008 R2 or 2012 R2.

Storage is HDS HUSVM.

Kindlty let me know if this is working solution.

• Hello

1. VFC is only available in HyperV 2012 R2 (if I recall correctly). The guests can be either 2008 or 2012, but please remember that VCS does not support EV on Windows 2012 R2.
    2. I would disable the site/tasks schedule during the time you perform the DR drill. You can then run a manual archive of a subset of mailboxes to prove that it works, but not the entire thing (unless its no that much data and you've got enough bandwidth.)
    3. Good point, we usually cluster SQL along with EV using VCS. That way you can create a VBS / Recovery Plan and fail over everything together. Its part of the USP that you don't need SQL admins or other teams involved when you're using VCS. You just click switch (or execute for the recovery plan) and it all fails over together.
    4. There used to be a defined method listed in the VVR admin guide describing how to use checkpoints and backup/restore to perform the initial sync. I've not tried that in years, we usually just start the sync and let it do its thing.

17 Replies