Forum Discussion

kjbss
Level 5
13 years ago

Windows Data Collector (WindDC_GUI.exe) Installation and Upgrade check fails "Active Directory Check"

Problem Type: Installing  Product Name: Storage Foundation HA for Windows  Product Version: 5.1SP2  Platform: Windows Server 2008 R2  Platform version: Enterprise (x64-64bit)  Brief descrip...
    13 years ago

Well, I still have no explaination as to why the Windows Data Collector "Installation and Upgrade" option is STILL failing at the "Active Directory Check" with this strange error message: "Unabled to querry the domain information. The DNS name of the primary domain is empty".

However, I wanted to see how far the installer would go so that I could at least get SFW installed (as it has less system restrictions than the VCS component, and installs first).  So I went for an install, fully expecting it to fail.

But it didn't.  SFWHA 5.1 SP2 simply installed fine, just like it should!

Therefore, the Windows Data Collector is not checking, or not doing *something*, the same way that the installer does during it's pre-checks.

...and therefore, in my opinion, either the Windows Data Collector is broken, or the installer is broken, as they really should be running the exact same checks and *should* behave consistently. 

Contributing to this SFWHA-Install-problem was that I did not have the "Computer Browser" service running (as suggested by Tom) on the Domain Controller, and I also did not have the "Reverse Lookup up Zone" stuff set up correctly in the beginning.  Both of these items are listed in the install guide, but I missed it and subsequently got side-tracked by my over reliance on the Data Collector's "Installation and Upgrade" "feature" (which was (apparantly) lying to me ). 

Bottom line for me is that if this check reports "Unabled to querry the domain information. The DNS name of the primary domain is empty", don't believe it!  Go ahead and try the installation anyways.

Hope this helps somebody ... (or the SORT tools owners fix this).