Forum Discussion

9 years ago

vxprint output description

Hi I am nwbie in vxvm, I want to understand a scenario,Kindly help me on this,   a) In this vxprint o/p, what does these 4 plexes means.. which type of RAID configuration it is, if there are 2 ...
    9 years ago

Hello,

I would recommend to read through the guides to understand different types of volume layouts . Start with sf admin guide

To answer your questions

a) In this vxprint o/p, what does these 4 plexes means.. which type of RAID configuration it is, if there are 2 plexes or 5 plexes what  would be the RAID configuration.

--> This depends on how volume was created. You can have two plexes in RAID 1 i.e. mirrored state (if both the size of plex is same), you can have them in concat or stripe. OR you can also have them in RAID 1+0 or vice versa which means concat-mirror, mirror-concat, stripe-mirror or mirror-stripe. These are called layered volumes. A layered volume will have an object called sub-volume which is denoted by "sv". You seem to have a sub-volume which indicates you might have a layered volume which may be concat-mirror or mirror-concat. Read through below link in detail

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sfha/6.2/solaris/productguides/html/sf_admin/ch06s02s01.htm

b) What is meant by DISKOFFS & LENGTH mentioned here.. in SD section. Does that size in 512-byte blocks or 1024-byte blocks?

Length would actually denote the size of subdisk in a volume .. depending on layout of volume, various sub-disks will form a volume. )Length x 512) / 1024 / 1024 /1024 will give you size in GB. you can try converting a volume size into GB. Diskoffs as the name indicates are disk offsets

c) What is 0 denoted here after LENGTH in SD section?

refer to legends at the beginning of the vxprint output, the sd line legends are

SD NAME         PLEX         DISK     DISKOFFS LENGTH   [COL/]OFF DEVICE   MODE

the 0 here would indicate the column/offset

G