Forum Discussion

14 years ago

In VCS Disk group resource showing as offline but every thing fine from Veritas level.

Hi, We have one rac cluster with two nodes. On the slave node all of a suddent, application went down. As per engine_A.log, the vcs recognized the disk group resource as offline but actually all th...
    14 years ago

The 5.0 CVMVolDg agent does a "dd" read of the volumes specified by the CVMVolume attribute to determine the reource is online (as oppose to just seeing if diskgroup is imported like Diskgroup agent) and therefore if the read of any of these volumes fails then resource will fail.  I have not seen "dd read" fail before, but I have seen it timeout - if this is issue you will see something in the engine_A.log like:

Monitor timed out (you will see this 4 times a 1 minute intervals, assuming default type attibutes)

Then I think you will see something like "Monitor timed out 4 times so as FaultOnMonitorTimeout=4, resource faulting)

Then you will see "Resource offline - Not initiated by VCS"

I have seen this happen when a backup kicked in and it effectively the performance so much that the dd's timed out - in particular if there are lots volume specified by the CVMVolume attribute as the aget doesn't have time to read all the volumes

If you have more than one volume specified in CVMVolume attribute, I would recommend changing this so it contains just one volume.

Mike