Forum Discussion

20 years ago

Backing up Active Directory

Aloha kakou,

I have seen conflicting information about this on the web, and even on the Veritas website. Someone please set me straight. I have a Windows network with two Domain Controllers - currently both Windows 2000. What is involved in getting a good backup of Active Directory??

Also, would this methodology change if one DC was upgraded to 2003 and the second left at 2000?

Mahalo,
Bill Courtney - County of Maui

7 Replies

• Backup your whole server, system state included, and you have a copy of your active directory.
    OS version doesn't make any real difference.

If you have questions, please advise what information is conflicting?
  • I agree with what you say about the System State. But the part about having to back up the whole server to get an AD backup - are you sure about that??

> Backup your whole server, system state included, and
    > you have a copy of your active directory.
    > OS version doesn't make any real difference.
    >
    > If you have questions, please advise what information
    > is conflicting?
  • Hello,

The active directory components are backed up as part of the system state. So a system state backup is sufficient for a backup of the cative directory.

On the other hand to recover this server you would need a backup of the system state as well as the system partition.

Hope that helps you.For any more queries and specific questions please write back

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.
  • Forgive me, but I want to be 62,000% sure I am clear on this. What exactly do you mean by system partition??

> Hello,
    >

> The active directory components are backed up as part
    > of the system state. So a system state backup is
    > sufficient for a backup of the cative directory.
    >

> On the other hand to recover this server you would
    > need a backup of the system state as well as the
    > system partition.
    >

> Hope that helps you.For any more queries and specific
    > questions please write back
    >

> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
    > business days, this post would be marked assumed
    > answered
    and would be moved toanswered
    > questions
    pool.
  • Allow me to modify my statement.
    You do not NEED to backup your whole server.

You will however NEED to backup the majority of your C:, and since it can be difficult knowing what you can/can't do without, you really should do the whole thing.

Since this is a server, I will assume all its data is important and suggest you backup the whole thing anyway.

Why do you need C: you ask? It is true, you have backed up the AD with just the System State. However, if you were to try restoring the System State on a freshly installed PC, you would likely find it to either:

- Fail to boot
    - Work in a half assed way, which you could never repair.

This is because your registry will always contain references to files which are not a part of the system state. Should a single file referenced not be restored with your backup, your server will likely BSOD on bootup.
    It might not, but then, you are asking for a definite answer, and I have provided the only thing which is certain.
  • Hello kahonu84 ,

1. System Partition
    The system partition refers to the disk volume containing hardware specific files needed to boot Windows (NTLDR, BOOT.INI, and so on). On Intel x86-based machines, it must be a primary partition that has been marked active. On x86 machines, this is always drive 0, the drive the system BIOS searches during system boot for the operating system.

So it is esentially the partition on your hard disk where the operating system files are installed, the partition in which you server boots up. You need to back this up along with the system state.

For an understanding of the system state refer to :

Title : An explanation of System State and Active Directory and the selection of System State for backup purposes
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/235161

Refer also the following :

Title : What rights must the Backup Exec Service or Logon Account have when backing up local and remote computers in a Windows 2000 Active Directory environment, in order to back up the System State?
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/243033

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.
  • Mahallllllllo!!!!!!!!!!!

> Hello kahonu84 ,
    >

>
    > 1. System Partition
    > The system partition refers to the disk volume
    > containing hardware specific files needed to boot
    > Windows (NTLDR, BOOT.INI, and so on). On Intel
    > x86-based machines, it must be a primary partition
    > that has been marked active. On x86 machines, this is
    > always drive 0, the drive the system BIOS searches
    > during system boot for the operating system.
    >

> So it is esentially the partition on your hard disk
    > where the operating system files are installed, the
    > partition in which you server boots up. You need to
    > back this up along with the system state.
    >

> For an understanding of the system state refer to :
    >

>
    > Title : An explanation of System State and Active
    > Directory and the selection of System State for
    > backup purposes
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/235161
    >

> Refer also the following :
    >

> Title : What rights must the Backup Exec Service or
    > Logon Account have when backing up local and remote
    > computers in a Windows 2000 Active Directory
    > environment, in order to back up the System State?
    > http://support.veritas.com/docs/243033
    >

> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
    > business days, this post would be marked assumed
    > answered
    and would be moved toanswered
    > questions
    pool.