Forum Discussion

pcc
Level 1
7 years ago

Backup Exec 2014 ejecting RD1000 cartridge randomly

I am at a loss on how to get Backup Exec to stop ejecting the RD1000 cartridges.  It seems to be random.  It will go for days or weeks at a time without an issue then we get email notifications hours after the backup has started asking for media to be inserted.  Is there anywhere that logs when and why the cartridges are being ejected so we can get to the bottom of this?  I've already read other posts where it is suggested to check if the media is non-overwriteable or non-appendable and that suggestion has not been helpful.  I'm not even sure how to check that since it does not seem to mention that in any logs or settings, other than the retention period which is set correctly.

1 Reply

• An RDX cartrigde will be ejected if Backup Exec cannot write to the cartridge concerned (either because it is full, because it has been offline long enough for Backup Exec to mark it as Read Only OR because someone has physically write protected the cartridge. (NOTE: RDX cartridges are marked as ReadOnly by Backup Exec if they have not been online for 4 weeks)

If the cartridge is filling up when you don't expect it (due to backup set retention) then newer versions of Backup Exec do have enhancements for DLM that may help in this area.

Also in the version of Backup Exec you are running, once it is found that the inserted cartridge is not suitable for write operations, there is no way to stop the eject from taking place. I believe Backup Exec 16 FP2 (or the perhaps the version we plan to release next) does have an enhancement in this area so that whilst the job probably will not complete until the issue with the inserted cartidge is recitified, that the cartidge (or in fact tape in stand alone drive which is also part of the enhancement)  will still be in the drive giving you chance to sort things out remotely without having to physically touch the cartridge/tape/drive