Forum Discussion

shamee
Level 5
10 years ago

Backup Exec Agent for Hyper-V and VMWare

Hi,

I have Hyper-V Cluster with two Windows 2008 R2 servers and SAS connected external storage. I have many VMs including SQL server. Will i be able to take disk-to-disk-to-tape backup using Backup Exec Agent for Hyper-V and VMWare? I want to tale backup first to disk and to tape from there. I already got Backup Exec Server and now adding this new cluster into that. Thanks.

Regards,

Sabu Hameed.

• Hi,

Yes you can...define a B2D folder on your media server, point your jobs to this and run the backup.

You would add in a stage to duplicate to tape thereafter.

If you want to do GRT-based backups/restores of your VMs then the RAWS agent needs to be installed on each VM.

Thanks!

• To perform GRT backup and restore of SQL database you need an Agent for

Application and Database license.

5 Replies

• Hi,

Yes you can...define a B2D folder on your media server, point your jobs to this and run the backup.

You would add in a stage to duplicate to tape thereafter.

If you want to do GRT-based backups/restores of your VMs then the RAWS agent needs to be installed on each VM.

Thanks!

• To perform GRT backup and restore of SQL database you need an Agent for

Application and Database license.

• This is not the case with other disk based backup solution. The backup software will do that as well when they take application aware backup. So in the case of Backup Exec, we still need db agent for item level restore?

Regards,

• Yes.  You need an db agent licence if you want to do item level restore with BE.

The other backup solutions may be able to do item level restore without another db licence because the cost of such an agent is imbedded into the core licence and you would pay more if you are not using that particular db.