Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Duplicate Backup to Disc to removable drive fails

Greetings - I'm running Backup Exec 11d rev. 6235.

My duplicate backup that I'm attempting to run with a destination of a removable backup to disc folder on a removable hard drive fails every time it's run.

Error e00084ca - the data being read from the media is inconsistent.

I've gone through the troubleshooting steps recommended on the seer document #273455 to no avail - most of them referred to tape.

I've check the system event log, and I see an error event ID #57612 - 'A format inconsistency was encountered during a tape read operation on device....'.

Again, I looked at the troubleshooting steps identified on the seer document #253586 - the steps identified are specific to tape drives.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can solve this?

Thansk - Joe

4 Replies

• Joe,

It appears that there is a problem reading from the source drive, not the destination drive. What is the source you are duplicating from?
  • Bradley,

The source is a backup to disc folder on the media server.

The backup job that created it did so without any errors - just 4 warnings because 4 files were open (I don't have the open files option).

This fails when I manually run the job, as well as when I let the schedule take it.

FYI - I am a newbie with Backup Exec, but not with computer systems, methodologies, etc. I'm open to any comments, clues, etc. to help me understand this environment. Don't worry about getting too basic! Also, if it would be best to call tech support about this, feel free to recommend so.

Thanks - I'm thrilled that Symantec tech folks are responding to the forum!
    -Joe
  • Joe,

Are there any errors in the Application/System Event viewer logs related to the source B2D folder, or the disk it resides on? Sometimes you get these errors when the disk is starting to go bad.

How big are your B2D files you created as well?

Can you run a verify against the source folder? To do so perform the following:
    1. Select the Job Setup tab
    2. Under Backup Tasks on the left, choose New job to verify backup data.
    3. Select the backup set you're trying to duplciate, and run the job.

Let me know how that works out.
  • Bradley,

First - I am impressed that you are still posting - the is the type of customer support that I would expect Symantec to provide, and it's much appreciated!

Second - There are 2 errors in the application log - both are from Backup Exec. The first is #57612, and the second is #34113. The first one refers to a format inconsistency during a tape read operation, and the second refers to the job failing.

I ran a disc check - including the 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. No errors were found, so I think the local disc is OK.

The B2D files range in size from 11GB to 44GB.

Interestingly, the verify fails stating that "End of data set was unexpectedly encountered."

Now, I'm looking for the jobs that created the backup source data, and checking them. All of my backup jobs have 'verify' turned on.

I'll post more after I figure out more about the creation of the source data media sets.

Thanks - Joe