Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Getting "Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred."

Ok, I'm completely stumped here and need some help. I've got Backup Exec 11d (just upgraded from 10d) running on a 2003 server using an HP Ultrium 448 LTO drive.

When any backup is run, I get the following error: "Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred." I've looked into this error and tried what symantec recommends (http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/283866.htm) to fix the issue. This of course didn't work which is why I'm here.

Now here's the kicker. I get this error when I insert a tape and either erase it or relabel it. If I insert an old tape and simply append, I can back everything up perfectly fine. However, once the tape become full and I need to erase the data, I'm back to the error.

I've just went out to HP and updated firmware and ran every kind of diagnostic on teh device and media the tool offers and everything passes, leaving me to exclude the tape device as a cause.

Any ideas?

4 Replies

• Oh, and I also forgot to say that all communication to the device from within backup exec is perfectly fine. I can catalog, label, erase, inventory and all complete successfully. I can also do a successful dackup-to-disk job as well.
  • Stop all Backup Exec services then stop the "removable storage" service (set the startup type to manual or disable), restart the BE services and try your backup again.
  • Cynthia:

Please check your Event Viewer and check for any error events. Specifically are you seeing any SCSI Errors such as Errors 7, 9, or 11? If you are this may indicate an issue along your SCSI Bus such as inadequate SCSI termination or a need to update the SCSI Card driver.

You will also want to make sure that you are not using a SCSI Card that is attached to a RAID Controller, because of the intense nature of the RAID Controller, it sometimes leads to issues when having a Tape device attached to the same SCSI BUS.

Another test you can run is to preform similar tasks such as the erase and overwrite you were talking about with NT Backup.
  • This is how I finally fixed the same error after a lot of effort and failed attempts.

Test your tape drive to be sure it works outside of Backup Exec. I had an HP drive. Go to hp.com/go/tape. Find the link under "value added software" for "Library and Tape Tools", click that link, download the software. L&TT is a free diagnostic tool for HP tape drives and libraries. If it works, the problem is within Backup Exec. (I was using 12.5 with the very latest drivers, literally posted this week).
    1. Disable the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click on it)
    2. Delete the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click again, need to disable first) This must be done in Backup Exec! Doing the same in Windows Device Manager and rebooting did not fix the problem.
    3. Stop all the Backup Exec services (I did this with services manager & confirmed in Windows Services)
    4. Start all the Backup Exec services
    5. Start Backup Exec
    6. The tape drive should be re-detected.

Dan