Forum Discussion

Dan007
Level 4
18 years ago

Job disappearance!

Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction here...

We are running Windows Server 2003 with Symantec Backup Exec 11d for Windows server'sRev. 7170 with hotfixes 3,4 and 5. 

The largest job and the most important SHOULD run every Saturday but since April 7th 2007 it has only run on alternate weeks...  Job Monitor does not report the job as having been missed or having failed, it just doesn't exist!  Presumably it is listed in Job Monitor until shortly before the scheduled run?  This weekend the job was missed until manually started via Remote Desktop...

Has anyone heard of anything like this before or got any tips to deduce what is going on?

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Dan

2 Replies

• Hi Dan,

I have seen similar issues when the job has been scheduled to run on specific dates AND if too many dates into the future has been selected.  Could this be what you are experiencing? 
    You start "Presumably it is listed in Job Monitor until shortly before the scheduled run?" - do you actually see the job as scheduled in either "Job Monitor | Job List" or in the "Job Monitor | Calendar?  If the job is not seen as scheduled, have you tried re-scheduling it?

If you have not scheduled your job to run on specific dates, then there could be something either with the database or the job itself.  You could try running a "Rebuild Database Indices", a "Repair Database" and a "Compact Database" using BEUtility.  However, if the problem is with the job itself, you might have to get the job manually delete from the database and recreating it.  This would require Technical Support to be involved.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Christiane
  • Christiane,

Thank you for reading and responding to my message.  

Yes, Job Monitor | Calendar shows the job prior to scheduled run time.  The job in question runs on recurring Saturdays between 01:00:00 and 23:59:59.  On Monday morning I find that a) It has run properly or b) there is no evidence the job was scheduled to run!  Oddly, success and failure seem to have been alternating since April 7th...  Unfortunately, as of this morning I realised that a totally separate job has failed to run, and once again, there is no message to report that this job has been missed.  

I will look into using the BEUtility and report back, but I am away on holiday next week so maybe a collegue will report back to you.

Regards and thanks again.

Dan