Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Microsoft Tape Format

Hi,

I am trying to locate a full specification for the Microsoft Tape Format, I have a copy of a document covering version 1.0 but this does not include XP / 2003 Operating System specifics. Can you help please?

Many Thanks,
Graham

5 Replies

• Hello,

Please refer to the technote given below.

(title)Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers uses Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) Technology for data backup.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/278287

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.
  • Thanks Tejashree but I'm actually looking for a complete specification which would include the detail of all the block / stream types.

I have a document for version 1.0 which spans 117 pages which I found at www.layton-graphics.com/mtf/MTF_100a.PDF, it is the latest version of this that I am trying to locate.

Regards,
    Graham
  • Hello,

This forum is meant for technical queries related to Backup Exec only. If you have any questions related to any other product, we request you to contact the appropriate Support Service.

However if you need any information regarding Backup exec, do respond.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.
  • Hi Priya,

I appreciate this is not strictly relating to Backup Exec support but the reason for the query is that we have a client who runs V10 across a number of servers / sites and they have asked us to write cataloging software for them which requires us to have access to the MTF specification. If there is a more appropriate forum or support contact could you please give me the details.

Regards,
    Graham
  • Hello Graham,

As you know that the tape format used with Veritas Backup Exec is of Microsoft (MTF), the details which you would like to have can best provided by them. So thus request to contact Microsoft. We apologize for the incovenience.

Regards