Forum Discussion

LillF
Level 3
17 years ago

Problem when backing up Microsoft Exchange 2003

Hello...

I am currently using BE 11.0 Revision 7170 with the following installed updates:
SP1, HF 18, 19, 20, 17, 21, 22, 23, 24, 27, 26 and 25.

I want to make a daily full backup of 2 Exchange 2003-servers and be able to restore individual mailboxes.

However, the following tests have been performed:

1. If I run a backup job using the options "Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)" I am able to backup the Information Store without problems with pretty good speed. I am unable to restore individual mailboxes.

2. If I run a backup job using the options "Full - Databse & Logs (flush committed logs)" and "Enable the restore of individual mail messages and folders from Information Store backup", it will only read 1,174,592 or 1,351,432 bytes (out of 12 or 20 GB, depending on source server). After that, the job will just sit there and do absolutely nothing until I choose to cancel it (waited for 26 hours). This will also generate event ids 215 and 222 on the source-server.

3. If I under Tools / Options / Microsoft Exchange choose "Enable legacy mailbox support (not recommended - use information store instead)", then I am able to backup and restore individual mailboxes. I am still not able to backup the whole Information Store.

Someone needs to explain for me:
- the correct way to make backup of Exchange while having the ability to restore individual mailboxes ?
- what my problem is, is it a account problem or something else ?
- also, I have run isinteg.exe on both source-servers, no problems detected.

Please help.

3 Replies

•  
    Any ideas ??

I really need some help...

Btw, it feels so nice having a support agreement, when the standard answer from Symantec Support is:
    "Please remove and re-install"
    In the real world, re-installing whenever a problem is discovered is almost never an option.
    However, this seems to be a trademark for Symantec.
    :smileymad:
  • My best suggestion to you would be to call in and open a support ticket since you do have a support contract.
  • I'm having a similar issue, backups are taking extremely long and I've contacted support (didn't help much, they suggested reinstalling the client and even backup-exec server, which I have). After about 70GBs of backed-up data it starts to crawl. After reinstalling the client on ex it worked fine for about 3 days. Now its crawling again. Any other suggestions???? Support team doesn't have a clue!!!