Forum Discussion

17 years ago

SSO, CASO and best backup strategy

I am in a situation where I am unsure of the best option to backup my environment, and am hoping for some advice.

I have 10 Windows servers and a HP MSL4048 library with 2 LTO4 drives all connected with FC to a SAN.

Currently, only one of these 10 servers is running Backup Exec 11d (latest patches). It is a MMS connected to a CASO server. The CASO is not part of the SAN, and is located on a different site and subnet and has 12 other MMS servers from different sites connected to it.
The goal is to backup all 10 servers on the SAN to the tape library, using the FC network, not ethernet.

From what I have read, my assumption is this that all servers connected to the SAN must have BE11d with SSO licensed.

If this is correct, what is the best way to manage the creation of the job/s? Can a single job be created on the CASO server to backup each resource, or do I have to create a separate job for each server? If a separate job is created, what is the best way to ensure that jobs are run in a particular order, and how should the media retention be configured? eg: should the first job run for the night be configured to overwrite the tape, with subsequent jobs configured to append?

There seems to be a lack of documentation surrounding this topic, so any assistance would be appreciated.

1 Reply

• "From what I have read, my assumption is this that all servers connected to the SAN must have BE11d with SSO licensed."

Either that, or you can use the OffHost backup option (part of the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option). This needs either Veritas Storage Foundation with the Flashsnap option or Windows Enterprise edition or higher in order to have transportable snapshots.