Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Unable to restore or catalog tapes

I just joined with my company and the backups have become a thorn in my side. From the looks of it, all the backups that were once configured were lost. Not sure how but all the jobs had to be recreated. Now i have been requested to restore files from tape but no matter what i do all i get is the following error:

Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier.

I have read through the forums here about turning off the "use storage based media catalogs", tried that; tried moving the tapes to different pools, tired multiple different tapes and it still fails. I have tried to create a new catalog from tape and it fails with the same error as well.

Anyone have any pointers? Like perhaps i need to delete(move) the old catalogs and reimport them? Completely stuck on this one
thanks
brad

1 Reply

• To start with a brand new catalog, shut down all BackupExec services and rename the \Catalogs folder (to \Catalogs.sav for example)

When you restart BackupExec a new \Catalogs folder will be created. Insert the tape, inventory and catalog without the "storage based catalogs" option and you should be good to go.

Any old tapes that you want to restore from will need to be re-cataloged (remember to inventory before cataloging) but any backups done from here on should be able to be restored from straight from the Restore Selections pane.