Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Why does dupe to tape fail when using GRT? (11d/R7170/HF3-5)

Why can't I dupe my GRT based Exchange backups to tape? The backup to disk succeeds without errors, but the dupe to tape results in the following:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Monday, May 21, 2007 at 12:40:10 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe2d - The backup of the item is bad.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65069

Exceptions

Verify- \\pascal.pagepath.com\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
WARNING: "Public Folder Store (MAIL)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

The following talks about disabling AOFO, but I'd prefer to backup my server's open files. This sure seems like a bug that needs to be fixed. Other than turning on AOFO & software compression for the backup plus enabling encryption during the dupe, we don't do anything unique with our settings.

How am I supposed to backup my Exchange server so I can restore files + individual messages/public folder postings and be able to dupe it to tape?

5 Replies

• Hi William,

As per technote 287342 we do not have a permanent fix for this issue yet, so at present we can only offer "work arounds" suggested in this technote.  When a permanent fix will be available I can not say, but try either running "LiveUpdate" on a regular basis - or better yet - schedule "LiveUpdate" to run.

Regarding AOFO and Exchange - we do not recommend backing up Exchange Information Store in the same job as the "regular" files on the Exchanger server - that is, if the job is run with AOFO.  Instead, you should create a separate job for the Exchange Information Store without the AOFO option selected.  This way, you are backing up Information Store using the Exchange agent and not the AOFO snap.

Regards,

Christiane
  • I've created a seperate policy to handle just my Exchange backups and made sure that AOFO is disabled. When I run my full Exchange only backup it succeeds and verifys OK. However I get the same error when I try to duplicate this backup set to tape. I've read the following tech note but frankly the workaround sounds awful and I'm not even sure how to implement it.

Is there more that can be done for me?
    Is there a detailed explanation on using GRT in a D2D2T scenario?

I was annoyed that AOFO didn't work with GRT Exchange backups, but now it appears that GRT flat out doesn't work in any D2D2T scenaro. This can't be correct, can it?
  • William,

As per the tech note, the two workarounds are to either backup with out using GRT or to backup with GRT enabled straight to tape and to not run a duplicate job. As of now, these are the only two options that we have.

When backing up Exchange using AOFO, it changes the backup from a traditional streaming backup to a snapshot backup. Exchange backups using AOFO are done using Microsoft’s Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS), and VSS works by taking a snapshot of the database. Non-AOFO jobs use the Remote Agent to perform the backup directly from the Exchange database stores.

As for GRT, the issue you are facing is a known issue that our developers are working to fix. There are other components we have use GRT which do not have this issue.

You can subscribe to the tech note and be alerted when any Hot Fix or update is published by clicking here http://maillist.support.veritas.com/notification.asp?doc=287342.

• IF I backup exchange to tape, can I duplicate the tape to a B2D device and be able to restore individual items from the public information store?