cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tmp.edb locked when archiving information store backups to tape.

Dahak
Level 3
Just recently I started using the Information Store with GRT to do my Exchange backups to disk.  Previously I was using Backup Exec 11d Legacy Mailbox and Public Folder brick by brick backups.

Every other evening, I archive my Exchange backups from disk to tape, and I have never had any problems doing this.  However, I now have a problem with a file with the following error. ' Unable to open the item E:\Backup\BAUER\BAUEREMAIL\BAUEREMAIL - DIFF - MT\IMG000001\vdb_2007_12_12_1155_03\tmp.edb - skipped.'  From what I can tell, this file has not been modified or even accessed since the backup completed, but I still cannot back it up.  I even tried running it to tape via a tape job on its own, but that did not work either.  How do I unlock this file for my archive job, as now I have to manualy clean up these files.  Or, can I exclude this or any other tmp.edb files from this archive and then delete everything else?  I do not use CPS, just GRT via 11d.  I am backing up an Exchange 2003 server with up to date SPs and patches.  Backup Exec has SP2 on it.

One last item, I do have another Exchange backup running using the exact same setup except the backup goes to a different backup folder.  Would that lock the tmp.edb, or create a new one?
Thank you for your assistance.
3 REPLIES 3

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
From what it looks like you are backing up the backup to disk folder straight to tape?  If so, this is really not recommended as it can cause many problems.  I would suggest running duplicate jobs to dump the data to tape, you will have much better results.

Dahak
Level 3
The only problem I see with that is I want to automatically delete all the files in the backup to disk folder sent to tape after the tape job completes.  I cannot see a way to do this with a duplicate data job.  I cannot choose to delete the files in the job, and I cannot run a post command afterwards.  Is there a way to do this in a duplicate job?  Thank you.

Dahak
Level 3
Found out that the tmp.edb file is actually created when doing a GRT restore as a staging area/file.  For some reason, the tmp.edb file was not deleted after the restore operation was canceled, which it should have been.  I restarted the Backup Exec services on my media server and the file was deleted and I was able to remove the rest of the files.

Thank you for your assistance,

Mike.