Forum Discussion

mprazeres
Level 3
8 years ago

Netbackup solution for a global infrastructure

Dear Veritas Community. We are planning to get rid of Avamar backup and use Netbackup 8 for our future software, but regarding this I have a question that I'm pretty sure someone of you can deliver ...
    8 years ago

If you have a remote sites and they need to run when the link is down you are going to need a master server at each site with its own media server.   In gneral I belive if it is beyond a campus network, you most likely want a master server at all the remote sites.

We do exactly this with netbackup apliances acting as master/media servers at remote sites.  Then we use AIR to move the data offsite.  Note, AIR is  only applicable for disk based (MSDP) backups.

If the site is small you should look into the virtual appliance.

If you are worreid about HA at site, then look at two media servers, and maybe use a virtual appliance for the master so you easily move it to another host if need be.  Personally,  I try to keep HA out of the backup environment because of cost and complexity.  Most (but not all) environments can tolorate a rare unplanned outage in the backup enivironment.

VMWare backups can do file level recovery.  Look at  the compatibily documetation.   The OS and the filesysem must be supported.  People often overlook the filesystem support and get in trouble.

Finally agents exist for things like datbases, exchange, sharepiont.   Again read the documentation on revs and support.

For something this large,  I stronly suggest  Veritas or your reseller should be helping you size and architect your initial implimentaion.  As you are swapping out a competative product,  I expect you can get a lot of help with this.  :-)