Forum Discussion

18 years ago

backup of lotus dominos server causes system to go blue screen

We are a unix/linux shop but we do have two windows nt servers (ancient dell 1650).
We are still at Veritas NB 4.5. We do NOT have the dominos agent installed on these boxes
although they are lotus notes server.

When a scheduled backup runs, the backup runs for a while but then the system will
hang. It often goes to a blue screen. We have to power cycle it. The hang appears
to be on drive h, which is controlled by a dell perc 3/Di controller[

We are trying to figure out if this is a software or hardware problem. There is no indication
of a hardware issue with the controller or any of the disk drives.

Sometimes a "manual" backup will succeed. A backup that is kicked off via a policy
will always fail.

Is this because we don't have the dominos agent? Is there some other configuration issue?

4 Replies

• It does not sound like a Lotus Notes Agent issue. I assume you are only running file system backups (ie stamndard or MS Windows/NT type policies). I could be an OTM/VSP/VSS issue, have you tried disabling the open file caching. Second to that, I would set up bpbkar logs on the client and raise verbose to the maximum to see if the backps fail at the same point every time. Is there something else running on the box (batch processing, antivirus etc) at the time when scheduled backups kick in which are not running when the "succesful" manual backups were run ?

Dhammica
    Edinburgh
  • This was a helpful answer so I gave the points. Alas I haven't had time to actually check
    so I can't say it is a complete answer, but since I'm about to post another question I thought
    I'd get in good with the guys.
  • you may also want to setup streaming so that you only backup the directories that need to be backup up. This will keep Netbackup away from any system files and or directories, which can help some of those touchy boxes.
  • Hi Dennis,

Sometime when NT is heavily loaded (especially while backing up files with deep directory structures and lots of files within same directory), NT tends to hangs or give blue screen. I suggest you leave out H drive from backup list during the troubleshooting to confirm this.

I also suspect succeed in certtain manual backup is because the server was not too heavily loaded when backup started. Maybe adjust the start time of backup and see if it helps improving the situation.