Forum Discussion

20 years ago

a000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred

i am getting a communications failure error whenever backing up remote workstations. it backs up just a couple of directories and then fails. i can backup files on the local server and this works fine. i've tried removing remote client software and reinstalling but this doesn't clear the problem. I have been using the same backup procedures for months with no problems. this just started happening a couple weeks ago. . i am running windows server 2003 and veritas 9.1 spk 2. the remote clients are a mix of 2000 and xp. . any suggestions?

5 Replies

• Hello,

The error code a000fe30 HEX is quite generic in nature. Following information will help to resolve the issue:

- Title: A communication failure has occurred followed with the error "The connection to target system has been lost. Backup set canceled" is reported in the VERITAS Backup Exec 9.0
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/255814

- Title: An error "A Communications Failure has occurred between the VERITAS Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent." message is reported in the job log while performing a backup of a remote server.
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/256120.htm

- Ensure that Antivirus and non-essential third party services are stopped prior to backup operation.

- Lower the remote agent priority. Please refer to the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253094.htm

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.
  • sorry it took so long to respond. i have been out of the office. i tried every thing listed. i do not have exchange so there is no m: drive. i have set the nic card info in the backup setup. i do have 2 nic cards in the backup server but one is disabled. also i have set the lowest priority for set remote agent priority. still it does not work. it will backup a few files and then quit with a communication error. as i said before, this was working up until a couple weeks ago. i have tried removing software that has been added (office) also remove virus scan software but this didn't help. any other ideas thanks
  • Hello,

It seems that your are backing up WIndows 2000 and some XP machines in the backup job. In order to isolate the cause of the problem, try creating different backups for each server and check if you get the same error for all the jobs. Have you installed SP 2 on the XP machines?
    As per the technote given earlier, also check if you have 'NIC teaming' on the other target servers. What is the Duplex mode on the Network Interface Card (NIC) ? It should be set to Full or Half Duplex.

Do update us on the above in either case. If we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.
  • i use separate jobs to backup each client. some are xp and some are 2000. (most xp). some of the xp machines have been updated to sp 2 others not. have the same problem with all the workstations. i'm not familar with nic teaming. where do i find duplexing for the network card? fyi - there is just one server and it us running 2003. could this be a hardware problem? using a tandberg autoloader. i can't see how it could be a hardware error because it does backup up a few files and its never the same amt of files or it doesn't stop in the same place twice. it is almost like it times out as far as talking back and forth. thanks
  • Hello,

It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem, rather as the error mentions, the media server is probably not able to establish a connection with the remote servers during backup. Are you able to ping the remote servers from the backup exec server and vice versa? Do you have the firewall enabled on the remote servers?
    Regarding the Xp machines with SP 2, refer to the following technote:

Backups fail with "A communications failure occurred on the backup device" when trying to back up remote computers with Backup Exec on a computer running Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall.
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/274793

Check if that helps. If the issue still persists, do write back to the forum.
    If we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.