Forum Discussion

biscut
Level 3
12 years ago

Automated Restore Advice needed

I have a restore job scheduled to run every night that will restore from a specific backup set created at a specific date and time i.e. filebackup.bkf created on 14/11/2012 at 19:00 - filebackup.

Is there a way to schedule the restore so that backup exec will restore back a copy of a file that is called filebackup.bkf regardless of when the backup set was created? I see that you can schedule both inventory and catalog actions every night but cant see how to say to backup exec to restore back the bkf file in the directory when the file itself will be refreshed each night. The name of the file wont change, but the contents will.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you very much

• There is no ability to scheduled restore in the BE console.

You might be able to do it with scripting and the BEMCMD command line tool, but this sort of scripting is beyond what the Tech Support Team offer as a service (althogh other forum posters may be able to assist)

As an aside, you should not flat file backup bkf files anyway, (assuming it is created by Backup Exec) you should be running duplicate jobs.

9 Replies

• There is no ability to scheduled restore in the BE console.

You might be able to do it with scripting and the BEMCMD command line tool, but this sort of scripting is beyond what the Tech Support Team offer as a service (althogh other forum posters may be able to assist)

As an aside, you should not flat file backup bkf files anyway, (assuming it is created by Backup Exec) you should be running duplicate jobs.

• Hi Colin

Many thanks for your reply, apologies if I am being a bit daft (it is Monday after all) but when you click on Restore, there is indeed the option to schedule restores (on 10d it is the last option right at the bottom of the list, can email you a screenshot if you need it too) so I am a little confused as to what its there for if you can only schedule the restore of a single file created at a fixed point in time and not have the back up set changing.

As for your second comment, I am fairly new to BE so wondered if you wouldnt mind expanding on it as I dont understand what you mean ?

• ooops just to be clear, it was advice on the flat file backups that I was asking for...not the scripting side...sorry if that isnt clear

• I suspect that is a scheduled restore for something you have already selected. But Colin is right, there is no way to have an automated restore of data to a location.

A restore is a manual process. An automated restore has been mentioned plenty of times on the BE forums, but there is obviously a very good reason for not having it.

Thanks!

• ahh ok, yes it is for something that I have selected, as I say, the file contents change, not the name so was hoping there was some way "round" it. When a restore is scheduled (or processed) is it just looking for the media ID to run the restore that you know of or other info too?

Wondered if there was some way of changing the media ID on the new file to mimic the original if you know what I mean.

As for their being a good reason why not to do automated restores then yes, I can understand very well why there might be some hesitation as it could result in over writing files WAY too easily. However, I would have thought that the option should be there and only people that know what they are doing have access to the function. Am SOOOOO close to finishing the project, this is the very last stumbling block LOL

Thank you very much for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Regards

David Thomas

• Hi Craig

Have posted the idea, will be interesting to see if any replies get generated.  

Thanks very much

David Thomas

• Hi Colin

Just as a quick addition, am trying to use the bemcmd as you suggested but in the SGMON log I am getting a couple of error codes that google doesnt appear to be able to find any results for. Have you or your team seen the below by any chance ? I realise that the command line side is quite speciailist but wondered if it was an easy one that you may have seen before. I am quite happy to admit that it may just be a rookie mistake LOL

Capturing to C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\logs\SGMon.log
    beserver: [4704] 11/21/12 09:39:15 -1 Client requested key.
    beserver: [4704] 11/21/12 09:39:15 -1 Client 'INTAMAC-01' connected('supbackup','INTAMAC\supbackup'): 0x17ef0b8
    beserver: [4704] 11/21/12 09:39:15 -1 Client 'INTAMAC-01' Disconnected:0x17ef0b8

If I re-run the catalog command (manually) then the message changes to:

beserver: [4704] 11/21/12 09:39:15 -1 Client requested key.
    beserver: [4704] 11/21/12 09:39:15 -1 Client 'INTAMAC-01' connected('supbackup','INTAMAC\supbackup'): 0x180ae00
    beserver: [4704] 11/21/12 09:39:15 -1 Client 'INTAMAC-01' Disconnected:0x180ae00

• cositirozas

How does that help me or are you just spamming messages ?