Forum Discussion

Sublaner
Level 4
10 years ago

AVVI Restore of Differential Backup Restores ONLY Differential Data

Hello, I use BE2010 R3 in a Win 2k8 VMware 4.0 VM to back up similar VMs using the AVVI through the VCenter. Backup policies perform weekly full and daily differential backups of all VMs, one job ...
    10 years ago

The problem I saw with HF 212812 (https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH212812.html) is that

1. Restore of VM from the Differential backup restores only the Differential data, but restore still reports "successful".

2. After this has been tried once, a second attempt still reports successful but even LESS data is restored - apparently only one "shell" vmdk for me.

3. WORST OF ALL, running a restore of the Diff seems to "poison" the WF: once you have tried to restore from the Differential, its parent Weekly Full backup also becomes unusable for full VM restore, restoring "shell" data as in (2) above.

Normal file/folder restores from the Diffs still work.

The "Resolved issue" that I installed HF 212812 for was: "Backup Exec 2010 R3: AVVI restore from an incremental backup set of a virtual machine fails with error - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images (TECH201706)". The failure was better.

My testing is done. I believe this hotfix is defective, and we will not deploy it.