Forum Discussion

19 years ago

Backing up a remote server

I am new to backup software, and am a bit concerned that I'm using the wrong policy for backing up a remote server. Bugs is the media server on my network. Daffy - which operates as the PDC as well as a file server on my network - should also be backed up in its entirety. I installed the remote client on daffy to facilitate this, but it seems odd to me that the remote client is copying all the files on daffy over to bugs rather than simply pulling files from daffy when the backup is performed. Is this the correct method for backing up multiple servers on one network?

17 Replies

• Hello,

Please update on the issue . Also from the link "www.sysinternals.com please download TCPView v2.34 and verify if port 10,000 is open.

In the hosts file of the media server add the name and ip address of the remote server and vis-versa. Hosts located C:\System32\drivers\etc

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.
  • Yes, I have installed the remote agent on the remote server and entered the serial number into the media server. As I had said previously, I have been able to back up the remote server using the remote agent - in which the remote agent copies the files to be backed up from the remote server to the media server. What I would like to do, however, is simply include the remote server in the selection list since it is part of the domain.
  • Hello,

Please let us know the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.
  • I checked both bugs (the media server) and daffy (the remote server) with TCPView. Both of these servers are listening on port 10000. The process listed is the "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000." Also, bugs is able to resolve daffy's ip address through DNS as well as successfully ping the remote server, so I don't see how adding an entry to the hosts file would do any good. Thanks so much for your help on this issue, I'm happy to look into any other suggestions I might receive.
  • Hello Joshua,
    Have you tried to make the entry atleast for test purposes.
    It DOES help in a lot of situations.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.
  • I will not be in the office until next week. If possible, please keep this thread open until Wednesday.

Thanks,
    Josh