Forum Discussion

Mac1983
Level 4
11 years ago

Backing Up Data from NAS: Resource Credentials Fails - A Communications Failure Has Occured

Hi Guys

I am trying to create a New Backup Job that would Backup Files from a NAStorage NAS Device onto a Tape Drive.

1. I navigate under Resources > User-defined Selections and navigate to the NAS Device > Browse and Add the Folders
  2. I go down to Resource credentials and Add the credentials that has Full Control over the Folders i am attempting to back up. It is also the Administrator account for both the NAS Device and the BE Service.
  3. Upon testing the credentials I recieve the error: Failed - A Communications Failure Has Occured.
  4. Now - I do not have a complete picture of the setup but i am assuming we have a BE Remote Agent running on the NAS Server given the fact that the Device is listed and recognized by the BE Console ? If no, how do i verify this ?
  5. There are no network connectivity issues because i can access the NAS Device from the BE Server manually.

What could be the problem and how do i approach to resolve it ? Do i need to verify some sort of Licensing anomalies here ?

Thanks a lot !

• Need

1 Remote agent for windows

2. No need of installating remote agent on the NAS

3. Make sure you have added the service account to the admin group under NAS

4. Add the IP of the NAS to the User defined selections

5. Ignore the credentials error

Run the backup

PS: IF the NAS is NDMP enabled you need to disable the NDMP service on the NAS

17 Replies

• Hi Craig

thanks for your response !

1. The NAS is currently configured to 'sync' AD Users and Groups thereby allowing us to add Domain Users and Groups into ACLs residing on the NAS Drive.
    2. Are you suggesting that there's a way we 'join' the NAS Device directly to the domain like any other devices such as Computers or Printers ?
    3. If so, and if i try doing that in the future, would there be any sort of risk to the Data currently resides on the device as a result ?

thanks a lot !

• ...that's pretty much how it's done Mac...what happens if you try adding the BESA explicitly to the NAS as an admin?

Thanks!

• Hi Craig

I looked into the NAS Configuration. I am using a NAStorage 8420 NAS Device.

I can see the Windows Security Mode as 'Domain Mode'

Workgroup/Domain Name set as 'mydomain'

Domain Login account set as 'domainadministrator'

The Domainadministrator account is the context under which the BE Services are currently running.

Having said that, i cannot actually see an option which would allow me to 'add' a differrent domain account as the Domain Login Account (if this is the administrator account you're referring to).

Thanks!

• OK, that's fine...and you can browse all the way down the resource list tree of the NAS?

• Hi Craig

Yes i can browse the entire tree structure.

thanks !

• I recreated the Backup job in order to backup my NAS Device and followed Kunal's suggestions while doing so.

I managed to get rid of the "access denied" error but I have run into a whole NEW set of issues.

:-)

Its surely a progress as the last backup was better and cleaner than all the previous ones (although not 100% upto expectations).

I am opening a New thread for discussing it.

(and life goes on ..)