Forum Discussion

noodles
Level 4
16 years ago

Backing up (exporting) BackupExec Config

Hi,

we have a 12.5 Server running wihich I did not configure.
There are quite a lot off backup jobs configured with policies.

Now I shall upgrade the system to SP2.
Before that I would like to create a backup or export file with the configuration of the BackupExec Server itself.

The DB we are using is a local SQLExpress.

Do have to backup the DB or how can I backup the Backup Exec Server itself including the job config, policies and so on?

Thanks in advance!

regards
/noodles

4 Replies

Anonymous
    Hello Noodles,

you can copy the entire data folder from the backup Exec installation directory to the another partition so in case if you server crashes u just need to install the Backup Exec and replace the new data folder with the old data folder  and restart the services that should bring all your jobs and configuration back.

Path for the DATA folder "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\data"

please stop the SQL server service for the backup Exec from the services.msc window first and then copy it to the other location.....SQLSERVER(BKUPEXEC) service.

Let me know if this answers your questions
  • As per the query you have you dont need to backup the database for the backup exec as every day at 4 :00am you have the database maintainance scheduled and dumps its database ..... All the configuration about the backup exec is stored in the data folder which is at C:program files /Symantec/backup exec/  you can stop all the services along with the Sql service  and make a copy of data and the catalog folder .... 

Addtional you can create a configuration file for backup exec using BEutility
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/286093 refer this document .

Mark this as a solution if it answers your queries
    Anonymous
    Hello Noodles,

this another way to copy the configuration and database please use this technote which has step by step process.

Document ID: 274778
    http://support.veritas.com/docs/274778

How to copy media server configuration to a file and apply the copied media server configuration

If this answers your question please mark it as solution
  • If you go the C:program files /Symantec/backup exec/data dierctory yoou fine the bak file which contains the backup of the database