Forum Discussion

loopy
Level 3
13 years ago

Backing Up NAS systems

Hi, I have several NAS-Systems in place which I have to backup. One system is from Iomega (StorCenter ix4-200d), the others are TeraStationPro from Buffalo.

I am not able to backup shares on these NAS-systems. The remote-user has full access-rights to these shares. I'm using Backup Exec 2010 R3. When I check the Ressource-Login-Data, I always get a communication-error. NDMP is not supported on the NAS-systems and the RAWS can't be installed.

For the moment I'm backing up these shares with ArcServe, here I have no problems with SMB-shares. I want to centralize all backups with Symantec so my question is how can I solve this?

thanks!

Sven

• I spent weeks on this issue myself, I was about to give up as well when I came across someone who had things working.  In their case they had it going at first, but it then broke, and turned out to be a DNS issue!

All along I was creating the user defined share using IP, so did not factor in DNS.  My guess is BEX is getting the name from the StorCenter, which it then couldnt resolve.  After creating an A record for my StorCenter, and validating name resolution and making sure the reverse was created...I was able to connect BEX to the StorCenter and its backing up now as I type!!  

One caveat though is that I just changed to CIFs, and removed all share security in my haste to get things working.  Ideally I want to remove CIFs, and reenable security, but for now, I just want the data backed up.  I will report back here once I have had time to put things back, and validate if security will work now that DNS is properly in place.

Hope this helps!

12 Replies

• Yes, it's AD-integrated. Can you please post the firmware version you have installed on the NAS?

I have 2.1.38.22294

Thanks

• I spent weeks on this issue myself, I was about to give up as well when I came across someone who had things working.  In their case they had it going at first, but it then broke, and turned out to be a DNS issue!

All along I was creating the user defined share using IP, so did not factor in DNS.  My guess is BEX is getting the name from the StorCenter, which it then couldnt resolve.  After creating an A record for my StorCenter, and validating name resolution and making sure the reverse was created...I was able to connect BEX to the StorCenter and its backing up now as I type!!  

One caveat though is that I just changed to CIFs, and removed all share security in my haste to get things working.  Ideally I want to remove CIFs, and reenable security, but for now, I just want the data backed up.  I will report back here once I have had time to put things back, and validate if security will work now that DNS is properly in place.

Hope this helps!