Forum Discussion

18 years ago

Backup exchange with 11d

I am trialing 11d for and x64 windows 2003 server backing up exchange 2003.

As i backup the the mailboxes it works fine but when i try to backup the priv1.edb and the pub1.edb files it doesn't back them up at all. Is there a setting i have missed? I turned on open files backup incase it was this but still no joy.

6 Replies

• Hello Darren:

Review the Error Log for the failed Mailbox backups. Usually there are corrupted messages at the Top of the Information Store for some Users. If that is case, send your User an email and tell them to delete the specific email that is causing problems for your backups or log into their mailbox from your Admin console and move the message to a secure place so that you can study it on your free time:-) Once you've cleaned up the corrupted mailboxes, rerun your Mailbox backups. Information Store backups are usually Successfull when Mailbox backups fail, why I don't know, i think that it is b/c Information Store backups actually backup a database in it's entirety when Mailbox backups, backup individual messages; backing up individual messages might piss off Backup Exec because it actually sees and processes each individual message.
    True, you need the Store to do a full restore, it looks like you are getting the Store, you just need to read that long Tech Note about using using the Recovery Storage Group to pull off a full restore.

-SL
  • Darren:

Trying to backup the .edb files individually while Exchange services are running is not a good idea, unless you want your Users screaming at you the next day b/c they can't access their email. Use the Microsoft Exchange settings in the Backup Job properties to select either the "Information Store" and/or to backup the "Mailboxes." If absolutley must backup the .edb files, stop the Exchange services and do make Flat File backups.

-S
  • SL is correct, if Exchange is actively running you want to use teh Exchcange Agent in Backup Exec to do the job. By selecting the information store (or individual storage groups) it will get all the necessary files automatically.
  • Since backing up the information store the mailboxes now fail why is that?
    Why cant i have both? I need the information store in case of rebuild but i need mailbox's in casse of a problem with one user (or one email).
  • Darren, the GRT backup fulfills both of your needs. By default, it backs up the database (the information store) as well as it gives the ability to restore one message at a time, an entire mailbox, etc.

The way it worked in 10d was you did a information store backup and then a mailbox backup. The mailbox backup was very very slow due to going through MAPI. Symantec now reads the database and enables the ability to restore individual mailboxes and messages via the database backup rather than requiring a seperate mailbox job to get this ability.

In restore selections, open up your information store, and keep expanding it down. You will see the users are now shown below the database and you can drill into their Inbox, calendar, etc for restores.