Forum Discussion

Dennis_S_
Level 4
14 years ago

Backup Exec 2010 dedupe target drive

Hi I'm trying to set up the dedupe on the local server, but it is only seeing C: and won't let me use UNC path to a network drive.  I'm assuming this means that in order to use dedupe, it has to store the data on the local machine and cannot store the data on a NAS server to do deduplication.

Is this correct or is there a way that I can use the NAS for storing the dedupe folder?

thanks

• Dedup folder can be created on a drive which is local to the media server, NAS will not work but a 

SAN drive will definately allwo you to create the folder.

6 Replies

• Dedup folder can be created on a drive which is local to the media server, NAS will not work but a 

SAN drive will definately allwo you to create the folder.

• NAS volume also can be used to create the deduplication storage folder if the connectivity is through iscsi.

CIFS is not supported.

Regards...

• Hi thanks yes I think we were discussing the possibility of using a SAN drive so I will have to check and see if we have that hardware available in our environment.

• Kiran, If you are using iSCSI, you are using a SAN.  Even though it's a NAS serving up SAN LUN's.  Typically as well, SAN volume and NAS volumes cannot be shared.  They are independent of each other.  While I understand what you mean, the statement will be confusing as it's written.

At the end of the day, only concern yourself with ONLY block level NTFS formatted volumes being supported.