Forum Discussion

sucomaster
Level 3
14 years ago

BACKUP EXEC 2010 R2 & EXCHANGE 2003

Hi, I have a problem with backup exec 2010 and exchange 2003. I have a W2K8 R2 server, with BE 2010 R2. I need to backup the mailboxes of one W2K3 SP2 server with Exchange 2003. All with the last...
    14 years ago

Are you performing Information Store backups (with or without GRT enabled)? OR are you using the legacy (old style) individual mailbox backup method?

Reason for question is we do have an internally documented issue with Legacy Mailbox backups crashing beremoet.exe that is due to have a public document written soon (the issue was only docuemented internally 2 days ago)

BTW as long as you have enough disk space GRT Information Store backups save a huge amount of time over Legacy Mailbox backups

1) The MAPI level Legacy Mailbox backup is a lot slower than an IS backup with GRT enabled

2) If you do a Legacy Mailbox backup for DR purposes you have to also do an Information Store backup (which adds to the backup time)

3) As long as you do the GRT IS backup to disk then the restore process is a lot quicker than the legacy mailbox

Yes there are some complications if you want your Exchange data on tape - Symantec suggest you backup to disk and then duplicate to tape for off-site DR purposes. Any individual mail item restores would then be from disk (so fast) and in the case of a DR you would be restoreing the complete IS from tape so not subject to staging the backup to disk first (which is the thing that slows down the tape based GRT restore)