Forum Discussion

RescueMe
Level 3
13 years ago

Backup Exec 2012 - Failure on System State Backup

Hoping someone can provide some insight into this issue.  When I try to backup the System State on a client's SBS 2011 server, the backup fails with the following error message:

BackupV-79-57344-850 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

I have looked at the Windows Event Viewer and do not see anything of significance.  I came across the following maybe related Microsoft Support article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968247

But, I do not see any services with an invalid path specified.  I'm stumped.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Perfect!  The failure appears to be occurring due to an inaccessible volume path being reported by the System State System Files VSS Writer.  Specifically, the following: 'g:\program files\intuit\quickbooks 2012\qbdbmgrn.exe'.  Please search and collect the Windows Services Key information to determine if this is a 3rd party Windows Services being reported by the System Files VSS Writer.  We can discuss workaround and solution options when it is determined the origin of the entry.  Thank you.

Search and collect the Windows Services Registry Key by executing the following command:

(21) REG QUERY "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /f "qbdbmgrn.exe" /s

27 Replies