Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Backup Exec 2012: Inventory issue

Good Morning Every body,

I got an error when trying to Inventory and Catalog my lbrary (IBM 3573-4UL).

The job fails with this error "Incorrect function".

Some of the tapes have been inventoried and cataloged successfully but some others failed.

Has someone experienced such an issue?

Appreciate your comments.

Thank u.

20 Replies

• No. It is not necessary to label the tapes when Barcode is used. 

Thanks,

-Sush...

• If you are using barcode labels, there is no need to inventory your tapes.  Doing a scan is much more efficient way to get BE to recognise your tapes.

That said, have you run the diagnostic utility against the tape library and does your tape library and tape drive has the latest firmware?

• I've noticed something. When I inventory tapes one by one using my first library drive (The library has 2 drives), the job is successful. But when I disable this drive and use the second one, the job fails with this error "Incorrect function". As if, Backup Exec can't use this second drive.

NB: LEO is licenced and activated on the server.

• As pkh has said, definitely run the IBM ITDT tape diagnostic.

2 more things:

1) Make sure you erase any tape used by the diagnostic program BEFORE you use it again in BE as a regular tape - don't let the inventory process try to load it before it is erased.

2) Make sure that your cleaning tape is in a slot marked as "Cleaning Slot" in BE.  That slot should be visible to BE and the library should have "Auto Clean" disabled.

It does sound like Drive 2 may be having a hardware problem.

• Make sure that the second tape drive is capable of reading the tapes.  For example, you are using LTO5 tapes and the second tape drive is LTO4 which is incapable of reading LTO5 tapes.

For LTO tape drives, they can write 1 generation back and read 2 generations back.  That is, LTO5 tape drives can write to LTO5 and LTO4 tapes and read LTO5, LTO4 and LTO3 tapes.

• Hi Guys,

I've inserted the second drive sled in the first library drive slot and the first one on the second slot.

When running an inventory, I notice that, this time, both drives are used.

I Think it's OK now as the Inventory job ends without any errors.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Could one tell me the purpose of "cataloging media"? What's the difference between "inventory" and "catalog"?

• Hello there,

The purpose of Cataloging media is to know what all data is backed up on that media and is available to restore.

Inventory will just record the media in Backup Exec database (name, Overwrite Protection Period, Append Period, etc...) whereas Catalogging will display the data in restore selection what is present on the media.

Thanks,

-Sush...

• In the past I've seen that failure if one tape drive has been replaced.

Also check if both drives are visible from OS. If OS doesn't see the drive, Backup Exec can't see it eighter.