Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Tape inventory

Hi everyone,

I have added few tapes to the TLD and when i'm doing the tape inventory, It doesnt show the new volume added and says "volume is up to date!" i wanted some help to how to add the tapes in the tape library(in case i did it wrong, and i am new in netbackup) and then do the tape inventory correctly. It's netbackup 8.0 and its on Windows Server 2008 R2. Your help will be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris.

• Hey Guys, sorry i didnt give you a feedback! i've been really busy...The problem was fixed, apparently that library is getting old and has an error 4781, we logged a call with IBM..so in the meantime we manually rebooted the library, and we were able to do the inventory from the library and on Netbackup. Thank you very much for your help guys.

22 Replies

• What type of library is it ?

Some libraries hve 'virtual I/O' slots, so these are effectivly an extension of the physical MAP/CAP.

The idea is that you can add 10 or so tapes via the MAP, the library then instantly moves these to virtual I/O allowing you to add more tapes in the MAP, without having to go any inventoy the library (to empty the MAP) and then return to the library to add more tapes.

The virtual I/O slots are also invisible to NBU and I've certaily seen these cause tapes to 'disappear' in the past.

What should happen, is that the library moves the tapes from virtual I/O to some library partitionwhen the inventory is run.

So another question is, you may have ticked the empty i/o option, but did it actaully do so, have the tapes moved (which can be seen in robtest with the s p command).

Also, some libraries need to be preconfigured with the barcode range, eg tapes that start AA belong to partition A dn tapes that start BB belong to partition B.  If an unknown tape range is inserted, the library will not know where they should go.

• did you put the new tapes to a mail slot? if yes, you need to tick the box that says 'empty media access port prior to update'

ChrisKaiser01
      Level 3

I did tick the "empty media access port prior to update" but i cant see the new added tapes!

Marianne
        Level 6

Please tell us more about your tape library and where exactly you inserted the tapes.

Did you put the tapes in in the Media Access Port?
        Or did you open the robot door and inserted the tapes in empty slots?

Larger tape libraries have 'maintenance' slots that is not shown to the backup application.

Do you have a list of barcode labels that you inserted?
        Does the tape library have a web interface? If so, can you use this interface to see in which slots the tapes are?