Forum Discussion

Jordanco
Level 4
11 years ago

Backup Exec 2012 Storage Operations

Hi   Can someone explain the diference between scan,inventory and import storage operations?When chaning tapes is scan,inevntory and import as well requiried?  Thanks    The scan operation ...
    11 years ago

Import is used only if i have a library and i want to specially select a slot in which the tape will go in,if i have a stand-alone tape drive inventory is used?

= Yes import and scan are only for tape libraries and  for standalones only inventory is enough.

Scan

Scan is used only with barcodes and no inventiry is needed if a scan is performed,the barecode will label the tape and no inventory is requiried

Correct > however again only a tape library feature

Inventory

Used with stand-alone tape drives or with library that does not have bar-code scanner,Every time a tape is changed,an inventory is requried.

Bang on!

11 years ago

To import a tape, you need to specify an empty slot for the tape to go to.

For a stand-alone tape drive, you do not need to do an inventory when you put in a new tape.  BE will automatically inventory the tape in the drive before deciding whether it is suitable for use.  Doing an inventory is more for the backup operator to check in the BE console that the correct tape is in the tape drive.