Forum Discussion

joonkoki
Level 4
2 years ago

NetBackup Storage Space Full issue

hello

I have configured NetBackup AIR.
DR NetBackup was forced to expire an unnecessary backup image due to insufficient capacity. The capacity should be secured as much as the size of the backup image, but it cannot be secured. The size of the backup image is about 1 TB. Do I need to secure capacity in other ways other than forcibly expiring?
Storage Type is MSDP.

• Hi joonkoki 

If I understand your problem, you have reached capacity in the MSDP at the DR site and need to find additional capacity. 

The problem with simply expiring an image is that this image is most likely deduplicated with other backup images, so the reclaimed space is minor. The other thing to note is that the space may not come back immediately as there is some house keeping that happens in the backup ground - have a look at this article to see why reclaimed space (whihc probably isn't the 1TB backup image expired) is not showing. Use the crcontrol utility to help things along rather than waiting. 

The alternative is to grow the size of the pool. Depending on the file system and volume type it may be simpler to just add space. Without knowing more details it is difficult to guide you, but the process is relatively simple. 

Cheers
    David

5 Replies

• Hi joonkoki 

If I understand your problem, you have reached capacity in the MSDP at the DR site and need to find additional capacity. 

The problem with simply expiring an image is that this image is most likely deduplicated with other backup images, so the reclaimed space is minor. The other thing to note is that the space may not come back immediately as there is some house keeping that happens in the backup ground - have a look at this article to see why reclaimed space (whihc probably isn't the 1TB backup image expired) is not showing. Use the crcontrol utility to help things along rather than waiting. 

The alternative is to grow the size of the pool. Depending on the file system and volume type it may be simpler to just add space. Without knowing more details it is difficult to guide you, but the process is relatively simple. 

Cheers
    David

joonkoki
      Level 4

Hi .@davidmoline

Your answer was helpful.
      I have an additional question.

The backup target server SLP policy is Master NetBackup with a retention cycle of 1 month and DR NetBackup with a retention cycle of 2 weeks. As above, DR NetBackup forcibly expired all backup images (Size: 1TB) of the backup destination server (was server). All backup images of the current backup destination (was server) have expired forcibly, and capacity is still not secured. Then, in order to secure the capacity, do you have to wait for the storage cycle of 2 weeks to secure the capacity?

Also, the policy was modified to back up the was server backup policy only in Master NetBackup.

davidmoline
        Level 6

Hi joonkoki 

Sorry if I'm not answering your question - I'm not quite following you.

If you expired all backup images from the DR MSDP, then you should only have to wait for the housekeeeping to complete (either via the automatic process or manually via the crcontrol utility as decsribed). You do not have to wait the 2 weeks as per the original retention setting. 

David