Forum Discussion

bwilliam
Level 3
10 years ago

Backup Exec 2014 HOTFIX 218257

After application of this hotfix through LiveUpdate, any/all incremental backup jobs of virtual machines acting as active directory domain controllers always end with exceptions with a resulting:  

"V-79-57344-38747 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Active Directory resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup."

If I run a full backup, no issues.  As soon as an incremental runs, this happens 100% of the time.  If I uncheck Active Directory GRT, no issues...both full and incrementals will run without issue, no exceptions or failures.

I know without a doubt it is because of this hotfix, as I have taken a completely clean lab environment and installed base Backup Exec 2014, and running a GRT AD full and incremental backup completes 100% of the time.  As soon as hotfix 218257 is installed, all the incrementals complete, but now with the above exception, every time they are run.

I have had a ticket with Symantec open for 3+ weeks now, we no engineer calling me back.  So at this point, I'm a bit fed up with Symantec's support and am hoping someone else is seeing this and has been able to solve it.  If push comes to shove I will just revert to doing straight VM backups with dedupe, and if AD gets messed up, I will just restore to last full + incrementals.

Our Backup Exec server is:

Windows 2008 R2 Standard
32 GB of RAM
24 TB SAN
Backup Exec 2014 V-Ray Edition, hotfix 218257 installed

Our VM technology is:

VMware vSphere 5.1 accessed via vCenter, update 2

20 Replies