Forum Discussion

jareaver
Level 2
10 years ago

Backup Exec 2014 SP2 cannot detect vm on Hyper-V

Hi,

My BE2014 installation has problems with detecting VMs on Hyper-V host. Environment:

Single host: Windows 2012 R2 with Hyper-V role installed.

VMs: Windows 2012 R2, vm1 - AD controller, vm2 - application server.

I've tried to install BE media server on vm2 and backup host together with vms but both vms weren't detected by BE (cannot install agent on guests and cannot add them to backup selections as Virtual Machines container shows "None").

Later I installed BE media server directly on host but with exactly the same result. I can backup host (but without vms). I did manually add agents on VMs but it changed nothing.

I'm using trial license as I wanted to test BE before buying V-Ray edition license. Here is what I see when I select host:

90px_BEnoVM.jpg 

Can anybody have the same issue and know what's going on?

• The debug matches the one from this KB article:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187974

7 Replies

• Have you enabled the "Agent for VMware & Hyper-V" option ? This can be done from the BE button - Installation & Licensing - Install options & licenses.. Select the Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V and proceed ahead with the install wizard till it completes.

Secondly, is the BE account added to the Hyper-V manager as an administrator or as a local administrator on the Hyper-V host ?

Third, when you create an actual backup job, do you receive any error while trying to expand "Virtual Machines" ?

Lastly, from the Backup & Restore tab, click on Add and choose Microsoft Hyper-V host and proceed ahead with the wizard. Do it lists the VMs when expanding this server resource instead of Windows computer resource ?

• I enabled Agent for Hyper-V as well as Application and Database options.

BE account is in the local administrator, Hyper-V administrator as well as Domain Admins group.

No error occours. Simply there is "None" in Virtual Machines.

I did add this server as Microsoft Hyper-V host. During wizard configuration, there is an option to install agents on guest vms but there is no vms listed there. After configuration type of the server switches from Windows compyter to Hyper-V host, but I still cannot see vm on resources tab as well as on backup selection list.

• Are there any errors listed under the Hyper-V VMMS logs ?

If not, debugging should help. Pls enable SGMon debugging per the following KB and then retry to browse the selection list of the Hyper-V host and try to highlight, expand the Virtual Machines container. Once done, pls attach the logs over here.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH204389

• Try this

1) Push out the remote agents to the VM's

2) Back them up as if they are physical machines

See whether they are then detected under the host.

Do not install BE in the VM's.

• The debug matches the one from this KB article:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187974

• Problem solved, according to the article, but:

1. Only instalation of English language pack - not working;

2. Changing default language to english for users - not working;

3. Hyper-V host restarted - finally working. All vms are visible, we successfully backuped them from host and recovered some files through GRT.

Thanks.