Forum Discussion

StrucLLP
Level 3
10 years ago

Backup exec advice

I am looking for some advice/reassurance.

We currently backup files from our NAS to Tape via copying from the NAS to an old server running backup exec 11d then writing to a tapedrive however it is on its back legs and needs replacing.

Ideally we would like to come away from a server and instead backup directly from the NAS to a workstation running Windows 7 and some form of backup exec installed and a tape drive attached.

I was told that this is possible to do but i am not too sure what version of backup exec would be required or what the best methods would be to achieve this.

Any advise would be appreciated. 

• You won't have support for Windows 7 as a media server. BE 2010 had support for Windows XP, but with Microsoft dropping support for that, so has Symantec.

You'd need to run BE 2014 on an MS Server platform, preferably 2008 R2 at the bare minimum.

Thanks!

4 Replies

• You won't have support for Windows 7 as a media server. BE 2010 had support for Windows XP, but with Microsoft dropping support for that, so has Symantec.

You'd need to run BE 2014 on an MS Server platform, preferably 2008 R2 at the bare minimum.

Thanks!

• For BE 2014, the media server needs to be on a server class OS, meaning Server 2003 R2 up till Server 2012 R2
  • Well that has thrown a spanner in the works, thanks for the swift reply CraigV + others