Forum Discussion

maurijo
Level 6
10 years ago

Backup Exec CatErrorHandler Server

On a backup exec 2012 SP3 server from one of my customers these errors show up in the eventlog (application). I googled it and this technote came up, it describes exactly the same events in eventlog:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77817

Except eventid 34327 is different:

Update to catalog index (Catalog index database) failed.
Reason:  [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_CatFragment'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.CatFragment'. cat_RecordSet::ExecuteBulkInsert()
r:\honshu\1798.1300r\becat\segodbc\seg_odbc.cpp(3228)
sp_sproc_columns CatImageInfoProc

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Hower the tn is for BE 2010, is this still valid for 2012 ?

When I do Solution 1 from the TN, will I have to catalog all of their B2D storage ? I guess yes if the catalog get rebuilt.

This server also has random moments when it stops backing up. The jobs just stay running with no status info or anything, when I restart the services everything is fine again for a day. Backup exec won't respond either when it "hangs", i can click around but any stuff like cancel job or so won't work. I can't start new jobs either. When I restart services the beengine.exe won't stop and I have to kill it manually. I think these catalog errors may be related to this?

• Repair installation did the trick, the errors went away.

7 Replies

• Thanks for the reply!

So will this cause the seemingly random backup hangs as well ? I will upgrade the backup server to SP4. Its weird that in the technote it says SP1a while the link behind it goes to SP4.

And do I have to run the SQL script they mention ?

• What is the size of the BEDB ?

I wouldn't recommend to rename the Catalogs folder if you are using BE 2012 as this may have an adverse effect on the DLM processing, though you can still run CatRebuildIndex -r

• I tryed running catrebuildindex -r, I just ran it with services stopped, I did not rename any folders.

The rebuild went fine but I guess it didn't help.

How can I see the size of BEDB ? I need SQL management tools for this ?

EDIT: the bedb.dat file is 260MB

• When do you receive these catalog alerts ? Upon restart of the BE services or during specific backup jobs ? Additionally, are you using a CASO-MMS environment ? If yes, where are these events being logged ?

• It is not in a 4hour interval as stated earlier. It seems to me that they happen on services restart.

This WAS a Caso environment, we removed the option and after that the issue about the backups randomly hanging started. But like I said before, when I restart the services everything is fine again and all backups work. After certain hours it happens again, now since yesterday we mad it through the night so maybe it is fixed I don't know. Eventlog also sometimes show job failed error with job engine not responding. It is also the job engine that I have to kill when I restart services.

The customer had the caso option still installed and was doing backups with it, we uninstalled the option because it was not necessary anymore (they now have onle 1 BE server). We received no error during the uninstall.

The events are loggind in windows application event log.

EDIT: To make it more clear about their situation, they had CASO in past. They switched to just one BE server after that, that server was the CASO and had the option. They did backups with it that went fine for long time. Recently we uninstalled the option because it was not necessary anymore.

• Repair installation did the trick, the errors went away.