Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Backup Exec Deduplication - Seeding and 1st Backups

Hi,

I have a number of sites that I want to use the BE2014 dedup option for my backups.  The remote sites have 2TB plus of data.  It will take forever to back this up over the wire.  Symantec had recommended running up a media server at the remote site, backing up the data to a dedup volume, and then move the BE server and dedup volume to the local site and run a duplicaiton job.

Has anyone had any expeience with this?  Ideally I'd like to use a VM to act as the temp remote site media server.  However, storage will still be an issue, as I don't have enough local storage to present to the ESXI host.  USB drives are not supported for dedup volumes, so all I can think of is a cheap NAS box running iSCSI.  Ideally, I'd want something that would be easy to transport around. 

Also I imagine I'll need CASO in order to duplicate the dedup volumes between media servers.  This isn't available with the trial version of BE is it?

Most importanrly, I'd also like to verify if this method is carried out, that the subsequent 1st full backup from the remote site to the duplicated dedup volume will in fact run quickly, as the data should now be seeded.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has had some real world experience with this.  I would hate to ship it out, set it up, only to find out that it doesn't work.

Thanks

• No.  Not sending data across the wire may not reduce the duration of the backup significantly and while the job is running, you risk job failure.  Doing a local backup reduces the chance of failure due to poor link quality.

18 Replies