Forum Discussion

kuan_wai
Level 2
14 years ago

Backup jobs spanning multiple tapes

Hi there,

I have a single tape backup drive and the backup jobs have no problem until the data to be backup has outgrown the capacity of a single tape. Whenever a tape is loaded into the drive, Inventory must be run on the drive, else backup exec will not recognise the tape.

When a second tape is loaded when the backup job request for it, the backup cannot continue because the second tape has yet to be inventorised. How do I go about spanning a backup job over multiple tapes without running Invenory?

Thanks.
  • When BE spans to a second tape, you only need to put in either an overwriteable or scratch tape and the job will continue.  BE will automatically read the label and determine the tape's status.  You do not need to run an inventory after feeding in the tape.  If the second tape cannot be overwritten, BE will eject the tape and ask you to put in an overwriteable tape.

3 Replies

• Hello 

The backup job will spann only if the 2nd tape is overwritable, you cannot run an inventory of the tape if the job is in queued status.
  • Hi, since i cannot run inventory of the tape, will the job still be able to continue on the 2nd tape (taking that the 2nd tape is overwritable)? As to my understanding is that a backup job will not run on a tape which has yet to be inventorised.
  • When BE spans to a second tape, you only need to put in either an overwriteable or scratch tape and the job will continue.  BE will automatically read the label and determine the tape's status.  You do not need to run an inventory after feeding in the tape.  If the second tape cannot be overwritten, BE will eject the tape and ask you to put in an overwriteable tape.