Forum Discussion

thho
Level 3
14 years ago

Backup takes to much time

Hello,

I've installed BE 12.5 SP4 on a 2003 Server. I've one job wich save only new and changed files an it runs every hour. The other job saves all my files one time in the evening. Now I#ve problems with the permormance of my 1. job. It takes about 30-40 Minutes to save 40 MB of files. The backup goes over a 1GB network and stores the saved files on a lokal disk. The rate is 1MB/min. The full backup takes the same way ovee LAN and takes 3 hours but for 350 GB with a rate of 2,5 GB/min.

The 1. job began (ca. 1 yaer ago) with about 15 minutes for the job reagardles if 10 MB or 300 MB and now it's about 40 minutes by 10 MB or 300 MB.

Has anyone an idea or the same problems?

6 Replies

• Are you using Archive Bit or modified time to monitor what has changed.

Archive bit has to scan all the files  to verify the bit - Modified time can use a journal which means the selection list is built from that journal and therefore should be quicker.

• Your full backup runs at 2.5GB/min, which seems an acceptable speed, so it's not an underlying speed problem.

As Colin says, if your differential or incremental backup is using the archive bit, every file has to be checked for the archive bit. As your number of files increases, the time taken to backup will increase.

The job rate listed obviously includes the time taken checking all these files, and is an averate job rate, so it doesn't really mean a lot.

• I use the archive bit. Maybe it take more time than modified time but it worked fine in the past and now it takes so much time

• Has your full backup grown in the last year? In terms of number of files more than size.

• Yes it has grown up. but only the volume from 250 GB to 350 GB and the time ist still the same (about 3 hours)

One example für the differentiell backup:

Date: 15.07.2010
    Files: 333
    Bytes: 978 MB
    Time needed: 22 minutes

Date: 25.10.2010
    Files: 30
    Bytes: 14 MB
    Time needed: 38 Minutes

I think thast not a problem with setting the archivebit