Forum Discussion

syb_mpyz
Level 3
10 years ago

Backup vCenter Appliance VM's fails after migration from vSphere Server

Hi Gurus,

I am having an issue with failed backups when performing a VM Snapshot backup of the vCenter Server. Hoping someone can either help with troubleshooting and resolving.

Environment: 3 ESXi hosts, fibre SAN, 1 x physical Backup Exec 15 server, vCenter Application as a guest on ESXi host.

Scenario: Backup Server also had VMware vSphere Server installed and running but due to issues with upgrade/reinstall deployed vCenter Application vm instead. Added the vCenter Server vm to Backup Exec and when attempting to perform a backup get the following errors;

Error from Backup Exec 15 Job Completion Status: Completed status: Failed Final error: 0x200095bf - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations. Final error category: Resource Errors.

Error from Backup Exec 15 Job Log: A quiesced snapshot could not be created for the virtual machine (DC)Datacenter(DC)\vm\SRV001. V-79-8192-38335 - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations.

Error from Windows Event Viewer: A couple of VSS warnings occur prior to the Backup Exec error in Event Viewer but now sure if they are related. They are: ASR Warning: Failed to collect disk information for ASR Backup. Reason:    Unable to obtain disk information for device 9 (Win32 error code 0x45d).

Thoughts: Looking through event viewer it is almost as if the Backup Exec is looking at the previous VM SQL Express instance whcih would have been used previously before the migration from vSphere Server to the vCenter Appliance (which uses Postgres). When editing the job itself I have tested all credentials and they appear ok.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Matt

• To cut a long story short it turned out to be a corruption in the BE database potentially caused by a failed upgrade of the vSphere Server software that resided on the same server. When it was attempting to backup the new vCenter Appliance it was getting confused (<--non-technical terminology).

Backup up the Backup Exec 15 configurations and did a reinstall of Windows Server and Backup Exec, imported the configurations and re-added the vCenter.

The reinstallation of Windows cleared out any leftovers and the new installation of the SQL Instance and database ensured a clean slate.

6 Replies

• Update:

Gave full rights to the Backup Exec User from within vCenter and now getting the following error from the Backup Exec Job Log.

Job Completion Status
    Job ended: Tuesday, 5 May 2015 at 9:03:05 AM
    Completed status: Failed
    Final error: 0x200095bf - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations.
    Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-8192-38335

V-79-57344-38366 - VDDK-Warn: VixDiskLib: Failed to load vixDiskLibVim.dll : ErrorCode = 0x7f. A quiesced snapshot could not be created for the virtual machine (DC)Sybiz Datacenter(DC)\vm\SRVSQL. V-79-8192-38335 - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations.

I'll continue hunting down this path for now.

• Did you install the remote agent in the problem VM? See whether this discussion applies to you https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-error-200095bf-after-upgrade-vcenter-server-60
  • The problem is with all VM's as I am trying to take a snapshot backup of all vm's via the vcenter server.

My backup is to take snapshot backup of all vm's housed on 3 ESXi servers, then granular file based backups of all windows servers.

I upgraded ESXi servers today to 6.0 and re-added the server to backup exec 15 as well as updating the agent on all machines (not that it uses it for this type of backup), also GRT backups via the agent are working for all machines.

When the backup is running I can see the information messages within vsphere client of the backup exec logon account logging in and out as it attempts to take snapshots but the snapshots are not being taken and backup fails still. This is the latest error message from last failed backup;

Job ended: Tuesday, 5 May 2015 at 4:59:41 PM Completed status: Failed Final error: 0x200095bf - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations. Final error category: Resource Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-8192-38335

Backup- SRVBKP
    A quiesced snapshot could not be created for the virtual machine (DC)Sybiz Datacenter(DC)\vm\SRVSQL. V-79-8192-38335 - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations.

A quiesced snapshot could not be created for the virtual machine (DC)Sybiz Datacenter(DC)\vm\SRVEXC. V-79-8192-38335 - A failure occured while locking the virtual machine in place for backup/restore operations.

These errors go on for each and every server.

• I have the same issue. We upgraded to vSphere 6.0 and BE 15 at the same time, and now I can't backup the virtuals unless I treat them like physical machines. If I try to back them up through the vSphere server, it fails with that same message.

• I have been working with Symantec Support on this and will continue to do so. I have been told that it is a known issue as of 30th April, here is the link;

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH230127.html

They are working on resolving the issue for a fix in upcoming hot fix or patch.

Workaround for the moment is to back them up using the BE Agent (as Frank Osborne said - like physical machines). I have had the issue escalated to hopefully assist in resolving the issue and I will update this thread as more information comes to light.

• To cut a long story short it turned out to be a corruption in the BE database potentially caused by a failed upgrade of the vSphere Server software that resided on the same server. When it was attempting to backup the new vCenter Appliance it was getting confused (<--non-technical terminology).

Backup up the Backup Exec 15 configurations and did a reinstall of Windows Server and Backup Exec, imported the configurations and re-added the vCenter.

The reinstallation of Windows cleared out any leftovers and the new installation of the SQL Instance and database ensured a clean slate.