Forum Discussion

Michael_IT
Level 3
13 years ago

BackupExec 11D Kompatibilität / Loader

Guten Morgen,

aktuell haben wir BackupExec 11D samt Adic Scalar 100 laufen. Nun wollten wir das System umstellen und haben 1,2 Loader ins Auge gefasst.

- Der Quantum Scalar i40

und

- Der Quantum Scalar i80

wobei wir noch nicht genau entschieden haben, welcher es werden soll. Nun habe ich mir die BE11D Spezifikationen durchgelesen und leider beide Geräte nicht gefunden.

Nun meine Frage: Gibt es hier jemanden, der es mit einem der beiden Geräte zum laufen gebracht hat? Ich hab keine Lust auf eine böse Überraschung, wenn das Gerät hier steht und wir es nicht nutzen können.

Danke für eure Hilfe :-)

Michael

• Hi,

Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 (or at least a version that supports either of those devices!) which most likely does support that device.

If you buy the device and attempt to use it with BE 11d, you're unsupported if you try calling Symantec for help and they will tell you what I just told you.

11d is really old now and BE 2010 R3 offers more support for newer software and hardware.

in order to upgrade, you'll need new license keys...don't buy the device and try making it work with software that doesn't support it...you'll cause more grey hairs for yourself! smiley

Thanks!

7 Replies

• Hi,

Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 (or at least a version that supports either of those devices!) which most likely does support that device.

If you buy the device and attempt to use it with BE 11d, you're unsupported if you try calling Symantec for help and they will tell you what I just told you.

11d is really old now and BE 2010 R3 offers more support for newer software and hardware.

in order to upgrade, you'll need new license keys...don't buy the device and try making it work with software that doesn't support it...you'll cause more grey hairs for yourself! smiley

Thanks!

• Hey Craig,

thanks for your answer. Do you THINK that it won't work with BE11 or is this a well-intentioned advice? It's difficult for me to say to my boss, that we need new Software, too. Then he find some random google entry which says that it probably could work ;)

I understand completely what you say, don't misunterstand me.. I know that there is no support for BE for non supported Hardware...

Which License would we need to run it?

Combined I can't read a "yes" or a "no" from your text. But you say in a roundabout way that it would be more intelligent to buy the new one, too?

And don't worry about my grey hair. My last BackupExec - Action gave me enough of them for the rest of my life :-D

Thanks!

michael

• I'd suggest you upgrade. IF you get it to work and run into an issue, Symantec will check the device against the HCL and pick up it is not supported in that version.

It might also work a couple of times and then fail, leaving you having to explain to the boss why it no longer works. Take the step to upgrade as well...it's straight-forward and you can do a direct upgrade from 11d. That's another forum query if you do intend upgrading and don't know how too wink

• Hey,

we already have the LEO License. But thank you for your help!

@Craig:

Thank you for your help. I guess I have to explain now to my boss why we should upgrade :)

In my opinion a new Loader (we are currently on LTO1 and jump to LTO5) also requires a new and fresh installation of the Backup Software, because of the new Performance should be created a new Job List. But that's another story ;)

Thanks for your help again!

michael

• ...it depends on what you're backing up, but upgrading to LTO5 will transfer the bottleneck onto the server. However, you're going to see a significant increase in performance between LTO1 and LTO5.

However...also be aware that LTO5 drives read 2 revisions back (LTO3 and LTO4), and write 1 revision back (LTO4). LTO1 won't be supported, so if you need that information on those tapes you're going to have to make a plan to get it off the tapes and onto the LTO5s.

• That's right. It was only the point to use the old BE11D or have to buy the new one. But you did a good job and now we know what to do ;)

Thanks a lot!